Options

Any use EIGRP in production?

human151human151 Member Posts: 208
I've begun to realize that EIGRP appears, to me at least, to be my preferred protocol.

At work all our gear is Cisco. We have never bought or considered another vendor, but use OSPF. of course both OSPF and EIGRP both get the job done but in different ways. Ive asked our CTO why we never bothered with OSPF and he said something about never using propriety protocols.

I have to ask why not? Anyone here use EIGRP? EIGRP seems to have many positive aspects going for it and seems less complicated that OSPF.
Welcome to the desert of the real.

BSCI in Progress...

Cisco LAB: 1x 2509
1X2621
1x1721
2x2950
1x3550 EMI

Comments

• Options
    seraphusseraphus Member Posts: 307
    human151 wrote: »
    I've begun to realize that EIGRP appears, to me at least, to be my preferred protocol.

At work all our gear is Cisco. We have never bought or considered another vendor, but use OSPF. of course both OSPF and EIGRP both get the job done but in different ways. Ive asked our CTO why we never bothered with OSPF and he said something about never using propriety protocols.

I have to ask why not? Anyone here use EIGRP? EIGRP seems to have many positive aspects going for it and seems less complicated that OSPF.

It's good business not to lock your business into a proprietary protocol such as EIGRP.

Check out this Jeff Doyle article:

EIGRP vs OSPF | NetworkWorld.com Community
    Lab first, ask questions later
  • Options
    nutech444nutech444 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    a quick search this is what i found
    doesn't scale as well as OSPF and ISIS
    needs a well taught addressing scheme or will have issues like stuck in active.
    The well taught address scheme will be a waste if you plan to add non cisco routers in the future.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    We use it here on our corporate network and its simple and gets the job done. I've usually only used it for small scale side stuff though. You don't want to have to use work around or redesign your network if the powers to be decide that they don't want to spend the money on Cisco anymore.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    I will say in the military, I have seen it used in various environments.... although in certain areas we have a mix between Juniper and Cisco, so we use OSPF in those cases.