Options

Anyone use rack rental for CCVP (or beyond)?

dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
I'm just curious how it works with the phones and other equipment. Has anyone tried this?

Comments

• Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    You could pretty easily buy some phones to keep at your house, rent the rack, VPN in, and have it all there. My personal thought on rack rentals, though, is if you can afford to pay the fees most are charging, you can afford to pay the credit card payments and buy your own stuff. Sell it when you're done.
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    darkerosxx wrote: »
    My personal thought on rack rentals, though, is if you can afford to pay the fees most are charging, you can afford to pay the credit card payments and buy your own stuff. Sell it when you're done.

Not really at the cost of the IE tracks. The old CCVP had 6500s and a SAN lab is in the 6 figures.

OP: Im not familiar with VoIP, but I know the internetwork lab has 3 phones with their rental. Obviously you wouldn't be able to use them physically, but you could still edit the configs they download and other options on the CM.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, the voice and security labs seem to be insanely expensive, which is why I was asking.

Thanks for the responses guys :D
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    I've priced recreating CCIE:V labs available from various sources at $3,000-$10,000, depending on what you buy and what kind of deal you get on it. The high end being buying all new stuff on ebay.

For the CCVP, I'd cut that in half.

It's not for everybody, but it wouldn't be incredibly difficult to replace rack charges with minimum credit card payments. Doing it that way, you're building equity and have the chance to get something back out of your payments, especially if you get a deal on the front(buy) or back(sell) end.
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Oh for sure, its possible to maybe break even or even profit from buying and selling the equipment (some people make a living off it). You have to really spend some time in the markets though, and get lucky, in order to find the good deals. I personally do a bit of both, buying the lower end equipment cheap to cover 95% of tasks, and renting a few labs for the more 'expensive' features. I have a hard time 'letting go' of my toys though, which is why buying the full labs is not a good idea for me ;)
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I’ve pieced together a CCVP / IE:Voice lab (missing a 3750 switch) over the last few years and the price wasn’t too bad - Definitely way cheaper then a semester @ a good university. If you take your time, you can land some really good deals on the bay.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    pitviper wrote: »
    I’ve pieced together a CCVP / IE:Voice lab (missing a 3750 switch) over the last few years and the price wasn’t too bad - Definitely way cheaper then a semester @ a good university. If you take your time, you can land some really good deals on the bay.

I'm currently building mine quite nicely...

what you got in yours so far??

on topic, I was looking at rack rental prices following on from reading this and onee of the companies offered the ability\option to hook up your own phones, simply had to give them the mac addresses you wanted to use.
    I'd be interested to a couple of trial sessions to see how I got on with the enviroment. I kinda like looking over at my rack as I'm working on it and see the lights flashing away icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'm currently building mine quite nicely...

what you got in yours so far??

lab01.jpg

2811ssrst.jpg

:)
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT