Options

Starting Network+ Soon, Advice?

bv0rbv0r Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

This probably will seem like a redundant question, and trust me I've tried searching for posts first but there were quite a few variations in answers and some were outdated. But....

What study materials should be sufficient enough to help me pass the N10-004 exam? (I got my A+ through a course my company signed me up for and am choosing to go the route of studying on my own for this one)

This is from CompTIA's site "Exam codes: N10-004 and JK0-016", what does JK0-016 refer to?

Thanks to all who reply. icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• Options
    bgrablinbgrablin Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    CBT Nuggets, Train Signal, Sybex (textbook), CompTIA Network+ by McGraw Hill (textbook), and study study study.

I'm taking my exam next week. Although I just passed my CCENT last week so I have a leg up, but I am still approaching it as completely knowledge-less so I don't miss anything.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton

My Site | Face
  • Options
    bv0rbv0r Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Not that I am looking for an easy way out, nor do I believe in memorizing test questions and answers, but reading 4-5 books sounds like a bunch of redundant information.

Has anyone encountered or heard of a single book (perhaps 2) that will garnish all that I would need?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's good to use 2-3 resources, and preferably different types. CBT Nuggets and Train Signal are video-based resources. In addition to books, you might want to use a practice exam, such as Transcender or Prep Logic. There's no need to go all-out for CompTIA exams. In all honesty, you could probably pass with Wikipedia alone, if you were diligent enough to research everything thoroughly.
  • Options
    bgrablinbgrablin Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    ...There's no need to go all-out for CompTIA exams.

That has been my take in studying thus far for the Network+. I sit next week and I will say I feel a lot better going into this then the ICND1.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton

My Site | Face
  • Options
    maumercadomaumercado Member Posts: 163
    I passed My network+ certification using only this Amazon.com: CompTIA Network+ Certification Kit: (Exam: N10-004) (9780470430972): Todd Lammle, Bill Ferguson, Toby Skandier: Books as study materials, I did used the three books...

Along with that I bought transcender tests for exams sims, and I passed it the first time...

Also use the guide here at techexams which is really usefull...
  • Options
    imhotepimhotep Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    bv0r,

I just recently passed the 004 test with a 855/900 (missed five questions). I don't consider my methods to be the ultimate or anything so adjust as needed. My studies and materials were as follows:

- Network+ Deluxe Study Guide by Todd Lammle (aka the current Sybex book)
    - Practice Test 10-pack from TotalSem
    - about 700 flashcards created from the book
    - drill drill drill, read read read

Also, one of the best things you can do for yourself is to ignore the crisis threads and horror stories that get posted on here. I read one of them about five days prior to testing and it didn't do me any good. I went into the test not knowing if I would pass, just like everyone else. Some people need to vent if they fail and that's understandable, I'm just saying don't go on a crusade to read too much of it.

Stay positive and focused above all. The book I listed is very good, but so is Mike Meyers (I used a Meyers book for A+). IMHO the strong suit with Meyers are his practice tests, so I blended his tests with the Sybex book and found it to be very strong. I was way overprepared when I took Network+.

Good luck!