Options

backing up VMs using ESXi and Vsphere

aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just trailing these two bit so software at the moment, could someone direct me as to how to backup VMs that I create?
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Comments

• Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You have a few options:
    1. Shut down the VM and copy the VM folders manually out of your datastore(s) through the client
    2. Use VCB to automate taking snapshots and transferring the VMs files through scripts (works but can be a PITA).
    3. Use vSphere's new Data Recovery option (if you have license for it) to do basically the same things as VCB but it has a nice interface and can schedule backups.
    4. Use one of the third party backup utilities. I'm not familiar with these, but I think a few other people on the board are, hopefully they'll jump in and give you some options.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    kalebksp wrote: »
    You have a few options:
    1. Shut down the VM and copy the VM folders manually out of your datastore(s) through the client
    2. Use VCB to automate taking snapshots and transferring the VMs files through scripts (works but can be a PITA).
    3. Use vSphere's new Data Recovery option (if you have license for it) to do basically the same things as VCB but it has a nice interface and can schedule backups.
    4. Use one of the third party backup utilities. I'm not familiar with these, but I think a few other people on the board are, hopefully they'll jump in and give you some options.

Hope this helps!

Ultra helpful, thanks
  • Options
    i'm going to run these two at home as part of my lab, how is it using the eval for more than the 60day period?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Certain features in ESX/i are deactivated after the 60-day eval period expires. You can perform a Repair to get another 60 days without loosing your VMs. Have a look at my blog article on the subject: "Please Sir, May I Have Some More Virtual Days?" TechExams.net Blogs
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Certain features in ESX/i are deactivated after the 60-day eval period expires. You can perform a Repair to get another 60 days without loosing your VMs. Have a look at my blog article on the subject: "Please Sir, May I Have Some More Virtual Days?" TechExams.net Blogs

thanks for this, now part of my pdf collection,

what about life after 60 days with vsphere?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    what about life after 60 days with vsphere?
    That I don't know. I figure by the time I need to play with vSphere I'll be able to buy proper licenses of it. However, I assume it's pretty much the same as ESX/i, with many of vSphere's useful features deactivating after 60-days.