Relocation for a job -- How to go about it?

JockVSJockJockVSJock Posts: 1,118Member
So this thread got me thinking about a subject that has always been a big debate among my friends, relocation.

One of my friends is putting pressure on me to relocate to a bigger city so I can get more experience/pay, because I have my Masters. I have applied for positions with Raytheon, General Dynamic and others and never heard anything back. I mark this up because I am not a local person to where the jobs are.

Now I had a friend who lived here in Omaha who is an accountant. For years he applied for jobs in Las Vegas because he loves the city. He never heard anything back for jobs, until he physically moved to that city.

He stated that no company is going to relocate a person, unless they are a high value employee or that person states they will relocate at their own cost.

What is everyone's experience with this? What is the best way to go about applying for job that is not located in your home town?

thanks
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

  • dynamikdynamik Posts: 12,314Banned ■■■■■■■■□□
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    He stated that no company is going to relocate a person, unless they are a high value employee or that person states they will relocate at their own cost.

    I'd say that's true. Do you not consider yourself to be "high value" with your MBA? What type of position are you looking for? What cities are you looking in for jobs? I assume you're in a small town in Omaha. Would you not be willing to eat the costs if you were given a good opportunity?
    JockVSJock wrote: »
    What is everyone's experience with this? What is the best way to go about applying for job that is not located in your home town?

    Like I said in that other thread, I cheated by having inside referrals. I saw a statistic yesterday that said inside referrals will land you an offer 33% of the time.

    I'd really try to get someone with some authority over the position on the phone. Do something to make yourself stand out and be memorable. Maybe hit an out-of-town convention (like the Windows 7 launch events) and do some networking.
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Posts: 1,090Member
    I have done the big move for my career, and it has put in a position now that I never would have dreamed of 5 years ago. When you open yourself up to a national market, there is going to be endless opportunities for you.


    That said, I have seen/been offered small relocation costs, but generally I assume I would front the cost. Something like $1000 moving cost is nothing when looking at $80k+ salaries and 50% signing bonuses. As for actually applying to these places, some companies will pass you right by because you are not local, but if they want you bad enough and you explain you are ready to move out as soon as needed, they generally are ok with the distance.


    Go big or go home ;)
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Posts: 1,118Member
    No, I don't consider myself 'high-value.' My Master's is in MIS and did a concentration in MBA. Most of my experience has been in help desk and I do have some background in business analysis, which I didn't like working in. One of my friends continues to tell me that I'm crazy and wasting my time working in Omaha, however he really doesn't offer an info on how to take that next step.
    dynamik wrote: »
    I'd say that's true. Do you not consider yourself to be "high value" with your MBA?

    Looking for a sys admin/networking position.
    dynamik wrote: »
    What type of position are you looking for?

    Not really sure, looking at something in the midwest (Chicago/Kansas City), however I would consider pretty much anything.
    dynamik wrote: »
    What cities are you looking in for jobs?

    No, I would be willing to take those cost on for moving, if I had the chance.
    dynamik wrote: »
    I assume you're in a small town in Omaha. Would you not be willing to eat the costs if you were given a good opportunity?


    I'm still having issues trying to network, because I feel I'm too busy studying for certs, and don't have time to make connections...Not really sure how to go about it...
    dynamik wrote: »
    Like I said in that other thread, I cheated by having inside referrals. I saw a statistic yesterday that said inside referrals will land you an offer 33% of the time.

    I'd really try to get someone with some authority over the position on the phone. Do something to make yourself stand out and be memorable. Maybe hit an out-of-town convention (like the Windows 7 launch events) and do some networking.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

    "Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • dynamikdynamik Posts: 12,314Banned ■■■■■■■■□□
    There are user groups for nearly everything. I know there are big Sharepoint, Exchange, VMware, etc. ones around here. See if you can find something nearby that interests you. Join the linked-in TE group, and keep trying to find other ways to make contact with people. Consider joining something like Toastmasters that isn't IT-centric, but could earn you a decent number of business contacts. I'd start trying to do one or two things a month. These relationships often take awhile to form, so it's not like you can just put in a bunch of time one month and get up to speed with people. You should really try to fit things like that into your schedule. I'm sure there are lots of articles on how to network with people on google. Take an after or two and research it a bit.

    I mentioned this to someone else earlier today, but something else you might want to consider is this: Informational Interview Maybe make a goal of doing one per month. Don't try to use the people to get a job, but bring your resume along and ask their opinion on it, etc. Have another copy to send back with them "just in case" though.
  • tpatt100tpatt100 Posts: 2,989Member ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have been offered relocation costs which covers the cost of moving. You can usually negotiate this. But yeah usually they only offer this if they cannot find a person in their area. My problem is I own a home which is impossible to sell.
  • 7lowe7lowe Posts: 178Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm looking for a job and willing to relocate as well. So far, most of the distant jobs I've applied for got no response at all. I wondered as well if they only look at local candidates first. I took my address off my resume since nobody has ever used it anyway, but I guess my phone number not being local would still give it away also.

    7
  • dynamikdynamik Posts: 12,314Banned ■■■■■■■■□□
    7lowe wrote: »
    I took my address off my resume since nobody has ever used it anyway, but I guess my phone number not being local would still give it away also.

    I think your cell number can follow you when you move around now, so that is probably less of an issue than you think.
  • GT-RobGT-Rob Posts: 1,090Member
    7lowe wrote: »
    I'm looking for a job and willing to relocate as well. So far, most of the distant jobs I've applied for got no response at all.


    This is the big disadvantage when trying to apply long distance, especially when they are more entry level jobs. Its a big risk hiring someone who doesn't even live in the state, and there is always the chance you will want to leave and move back home after a few months.

    Other companies need people anyway, and if you can get the call back and explain that you are committed to moving and staying, it shouldn't be a problem. Just keep applying, and be patient, you will get something ;)
  • 7lowe7lowe Posts: 178Member ■□□□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    I think your cell number can follow you when you move around now, so that is probably less of an issue than you think.

    This is true. Plus I have a Google Voice # so that even if I did change my cell # nobody would ever have to know. And, when I picked out the # I wanted it to spell something easy to remember so I actually ended up with a W. Palm Beach, FL # even though I live in TN. :P

    7
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas CISSP, GIAC x5, CompTIA x5 Greenville, SC USAPosts: 5,735Member ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have done this and it is completely possible to relocate and find work (Depending on where you are moving to). I knew that I was going to move down to The South for job reasons and for family reasons (my wife hated Michigan). My wife was already going to have a small job so we saved up enough to handle a couple months of job loss if it happened (I found a job immediately next week). I simply put what would be our new address in a month and posted my resume on the three major job posting sites. Bingo, I have recieved calls every week since then. Granted, most of them are just help desk jobs but everyone has to start somewhere.
    Currently working on: Linux and Python
Sign In or Register to comment.