Options

WSS vs Sharepoint Server?

We dont currently use any sharepoint at work, but I see it so much on job postings and hear that its usage is growing exponentially. Because of this i feel its important to learn.

I noticed, though, that there are certs for both Sharepoint Server 2007 and Windows Sharepoint Services.

Which one would be most beneficial to learn, since im starting from scratch?

Have you guys done the configuring certs AND the development certs or just one?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't think I've seen anyone here with the development certs, but a few people have the configuring ones.

WSS 3.0 is just a free version of MOSS 2007 that contains less features, so that would be the best starting point. Everything you learn will be applicable to MOSS, you'll just have to learn the additional features that MOSS provides.

If you currently aren't using it, download WSS and start playing around.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Im learning the 70-643 material right now that covers some of the basic WSS stuff.

Just didnt know if it was worth skipping to MOSS 2007 certs because it might cover anything id learn in WSS certs?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    MOSS includes everything that's in WSS.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I have the dev cert and config. Dev focused mostly on what I would consider more advanced administration with some stuff about web parts and the object model. Had the test been focused less on what I feel is administration and more on actual development, I would have failed it.

I have been developing web parts, workflows, and custom pages for WSS and MOSS since 2008. Between that and integrating WSS with custom reports from our SQL server, my current job is like my own IT wet dream.