Options

VMWare into Virtual PC

rjbarlowrjbarlow Member Posts: 411
Hello all,
for introducing me a bit better in the world of the virtualization, I installed VMWare Server free into a Virtual PC machine and it went good.
But when I try to install a new virtual machine into VMWare Server, the machine starts OK, but I can't see anything into the console just a black screen. Sometimes it returns to me an error stating that the console can't access the machine (or something like that).
Any idea on how to cross over that?
Thanks in advance.
Pork 3
Maindrian's music

WIP: 70-236, 70-293 and MCSE.

Comments

• Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Let me get it right. You have VMware SVR installed to a WKS using Virtual PC from Microsoft. There are limitation on the Virtual PC and less resilience than VMware. VMware is much better option.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    Yea is that, in fact I wanted to install a little infrastructure with VMWare Server free in a home lab Virtual PC, already deployed with a domain, mail servers etc.
    I am applying now installing VMWare Server over a VMWare machine, hope it will be better.
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    What versions are you using. There are specific version requirements for a VM package inside a VM because of feature support.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    What versions are you using. There are specific version requirements for a VM package inside a VM because of feature support.
    I've tried to install VMWare Server 2 over Virtual PC 2007 6.0.156.0, now I think I will try to install VMWare Server free 2 over VMWare Server 2 free.
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    So you have: Hardware->Host OS->Virtual PC->Guest OS->VMware Server->Guest OS.

And your problem is that the last Guest OS is failing to start?

What is each OS? Windows? Linux?

What kind of hardware are you using?

And have you tried installing VPC in VMware Server instead?
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    So you have: Hardware->Host OS->Virtual PC->Guest OS->VMware Server->Guest OS.

And your problem is that the last Guest OS is failing to start?

What is each OS? Windows? Linux?

What kind of hardware are you using?

And have you tried installing VPC in VMware Server instead?
    Yea :) I'm running a guest W. Server 2003 or XP VMW machine as guest into a Virtual PC W. Server 2003 machine, that is a guest into the host that is an Windows XP x64.
    The problem is truly that the VMW machine starts OK, I see that by the log in the bottom, but when I open the console I see just a black screen.
    I have no need to install VPC into VMWare, because I would want try VMWare Server into a lab with a domain already deployed in Virtual PC.
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music

• Options
    I discovered now that each time I run a VMW machine, the CPU into Virtual PC goes to 100%.
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Why not just install VMWare Server directly on the PC on which you installed VPC and not run it inside of VPC?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    blargoe wrote: »
    Why not just install VMWare Server directly on the PC on which you installed VPC and not run it inside of VPC?
    I think I will finish to do so probably.

Cheers all
    Pork 3
    Maindrian's music