Passed Net+ but a quick heads-up

imhotepimhotep Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just recently passed Network+ with a 855, having used a combination of two books and a 10-pack of TotalSem practice tests. Prior to the test I was concerned that I would overlook something, but really I was overly prepared.

Just a friendly heads-up about the current Sybex book that covers NT10-004....

I bought this book upon the realization that the book I'd just finished studying was for NT10-003. Over the course of four days I tried to fill in any apparent gaps and it worked. But....just FYI, here are MANY mistakes in the practice tests that come on the included CD. This book includes six tests of 50 questions each, but not a single one of them is totally error-free. I kept finding correct answers marked wrong, questions where the correct answer was not an option, and yes I double-checked them. I'm talking about glaringly obvious stuff with subnetting and protocols where you can turn to a page in the book that contradicts the test question's recorded answer. One of the six tests had four incorrectly marked answers. QA/QC anyone?

Moral - if you study hard you'll catch the mistakes and it won't lead you astray, but let the buyer beware.

As for the text, it's the best I've read in terms of technology certification. Very well written and actually enjoyable to inhale.

My advice - supplement this awesome book with practice tests from another source. I used TotalSem and they were very good.

Good luck to all.

Comments

• PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Good work on the exam\.
  • davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nice score! Thanks for the heads up!!! I sit ICND2 on monday and if I pass I will be doing Net+.

How long did you study for and how long do you suggest I study for? if you dont mind me asking.

Regards,
    David
    Failure is a stepping stone to success...
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Nice score! Thanks for the heads up!!! I sit ICND2 on monday and if I pass I will be doing Net+.

How long did you study for and how long do you suggest I study for? if you dont mind me asking.

Regards,
    David

Just out of curiosity, why would you do the Network+ after you have your CCNA?
  • bgrablinbgrablin Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Maybe he is trying to apply for a Government job. As per the DoD 8570.01-M, Network+ and/or Security+ is required.

Which is the reason why I got my CCENT and while working for my CCNA, I decided to take the Network+ before sitting my CCNA. BTW, I just passed my Network+ this morning.

It was a little more complicated than I thought it would be going in. I only received an 830, where I was aiming for the 900+. Not bad for studying 1 1/2 weeks.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton

My Site | Face
  • imhotepimhotep Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□

Regards,
    David

It depends on your personal studying habits and tolerances. I don't want to say "you should do this" but I will tell you that I don't consider myself a very strong studier. What I mean is that I need frequent breaks and I burn out quickly. My dad can study for hours on end and not lose his focus, but I've never once pulled an all-nighter because it just doesn't work for me. That being said, I can memorize things visually, so I call up images of the notecards in my head and read from them. It helps balance my lack of stamina for raw memorization.

I spent about six weeks total reading and studying for Network+. What I would do is get started and try to estimate when you'll be done after you've worked for a week or so. When you think you are about a week away from being done with everything, schedule your test and stay focused until the end. The dealine will keep you accountable.

Hope that helps.
  • bgrablinbgrablin Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Just schedule the exam. You'll find motivation to study by the days remaining rapidly decreasing.

Worked for me.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton

My Site | Face
  • davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    veritas_libertas- Funny you ask, a lot of people ask me the same thing. I need the A+ and N+ to be my elective for the MCSA. I thought it would be better to sit the N+ straight after the CCNA because there might be a little overlap (although I cannot confirm that to be true).

bgrablin- Government Job??? LOL!!! I live in PNG, trust me, you would never want to work in our government. Just google PNG Government and see all the S*#@ our PMs get up to! Its crazy!!!

imhotep- Thanks for the tips and advice!!! I plan to spend about 6 weeks studying for N+ also.

bgrablin- Yeah your right... Will schedule for early next month and get it out of the way!

Thanks guys!!!!

Regards,
    David
    Failure is a stepping stone to success...
  • larue38462larue38462 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I hear you about that CD man. I'm getting ready to take the test next week. I also enjoyed the book, but I half considered calling yelling a bit about the lame CD that came with my $90 book. The answers are completely obvious though so if you comprehended much of the text they were easy to catch.

imhotep wrote: »
    I just recently passed Network+ with a 855, having used a combination of two books and a 10-pack of TotalSem practice tests. Prior to the test I was concerned that I would overlook something, but really I was overly prepared.

Just a friendly heads-up about the current Sybex book that covers NT10-004....

I bought this book upon the realization that the book I'd just finished studying was for NT10-003. Over the course of four days I tried to fill in any apparent gaps and it worked. But....just FYI, here are MANY mistakes in the practice tests that come on the included CD. This book includes six tests of 50 questions each, but not a single one of them is totally error-free. I kept finding correct answers marked wrong, questions where the correct answer was not an option, and yes I double-checked them. I'm talking about glaringly obvious stuff with subnetting and protocols where you can turn to a page in the book that contradicts the test question's recorded answer. One of the six tests had four incorrectly marked answers. QA/QC anyone?

Moral - if you study hard you'll catch the mistakes and it won't lead you astray, but let the buyer beware.

As for the text, it's the best I've read in terms of technology certification. Very well written and actually enjoyable to inhale.

My advice - supplement this awesome book with practice tests from another source. I used TotalSem and they were very good.

Good luck to all.
    Currently studying for Route. Shooting for a 6/3/11 test date.