How messy/trashed have you had your work bench?

msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
So I spent a couple of days ago working on reorganizing my work space where I do all of my side jobs for co-workers, clients, etc. I added another 6' workbench (boss had a spare to give away and I couldn't refuse) and figured I would take advantage of that time to get things all straightened up and clean since it had been a while. Even my wife was shocked (event though she knew how it would look days later), all of my new and used parts stock was on shelves and organized, tools and other items were all organized in drawers - it looked great.

Well, here is what it looks like just a week after my cleaning spree. This mess is due to a cabinet that I inherited from the office that was no longer needed and upgraded my Skeletek 20U that was housing my aging Cisco lab. Around the same time took in a few machines for repair and had a couple new build orders come in. Here are the end results.

My completely demolished work benches, thoroughly plastered with lal of the tools, cables, etc that I had spent hours cleaning up and organizing along with a variety of boxes and other crap that's made it's way down to my work area.

dg713d.jpg

A relatively clean (for now) cabinet, at least until I slowly begin to update some of the aging hardware when I get back into studying Cisco. For now it's just my servers for home and virtual labs and future VMWare lab and the routers just stay in there because it would be silly to waste the space right? :D

2ist8yd.jpg

The messed up part is, I go through this routine at least 4-5 times a year with the same messy result following a week or so later. Organization and cleanliness is simply not worth it icon_razz.gif

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What's a noob like you doing with such a full rack? :p
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    dynamik wrote: »

Oh, its not functioning equipment, it is merely plugged in so the lights work and look impressive to the AT&T guys ;)

j/k

Nice work space msteinhilber!! icon_cheers.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    dynamik wrote: »
    Dynamik likes your rack...
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Oh, its not functioning equipment, it is merely plugged in so the lights work and look impressive to the AT&T guys ;)

Most of the phone and/or cable people that ever need to get downstairs are completely clueless as to what it was for (back when it was just the Skeletek 20U) :D

The only person who ever had a clue was the Dish Network installer when we switched from the cable co. He was actually an aspiring Cisco guy and proceeded to try and have a lengthy conversation with me. After dodging that after 5 minutes or so I head back to my office to keep working, which was another mistake since when he popped his head in to let me know he was all done he saw the World of Warcraft box on my shelf and went on and on about his WoW addiction.
    dynamik wrote:
    What's a noob like you doing with such a full rack? icon_razz.gif

I know... wtf right? I got lucky getting some rack cases from work and other sources (thanks eMsS!), to replace my home file/print server along with my virtual lab servers (Hyper-V currently). The HP DL380 G3's are on loan from work (offsite DR servers) that I plan to eventually use for VMWare training shortly (if they support vSphere 4, haven't checked yet).

Everybody should take a good long look at dynamik... if that's what 10,000 posts will do to a man... is it worth it? :D
  • matradleymatradley Member Posts: 549

I like it too... XD
    From Security+ book by Sybex:
    "One of the nice things about technology is that it's always changing. One of the bad things about technology is that it's always changing."
  • PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    That is a nice rack setup. How much power is needed for all that though?
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Pash wrote: »
    That is a nice rack setup. How much power is needed for all that though?

I'm not really sure, the Cisco portion less the mostly useless 3500 that I use for the house are going to be connected to the remote power switches. I have had all of the servers running along with the one switch, home router, and the box at the top of the rack (Untangle) running on the same circuit as a 22 cu. foot freezer and all is good. I don't typically keep it all powered though, the HP servers I power on as needed through HP's iLO and the others I plan to pickup a remote power switch for.