Options

Had an Interview Yesterday

tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
I would like to say it went well but I do not think it did at all. I had an interview in front of six people on their security team plus their project manager.

Advice: Study the basic stuff before you go on an interview. No matter how high level you think the job is try and review the really basic stuff. I prepared by reviewing policies, threats, encryption, threat assessments etc. I got asked really basic stuff by their security guys. A couple of them were so simple I paused for a second and I felt like I was on the show "Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader". I got asked to explain DNS, differences between a router,hub, switch, etc. I answered them well enough but there was that "pause" that to me might have relayed a message of "man im dumb". I was just expecting something harder I guess.

It did not help also that one of the guys interviewing I used to work with a long time ago. He was fired for unprofessional conduct. So I was already thinking I should have just said I had an upset stomach and went home lol.

Comments

• Options
    tenroutenrou Member Posts: 108
    I wouldn't worry about pausing, everyone does it during interviews and it's probably better that you do. It's a pressure situation and you need to make sure you get your answer correct in your head rather than waffle. your demeanor and whether you were on the mark with the answers is all that matters.
  • Options
    djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    I know what you mean. Sometimes you just don't know how to answer the simplest question. You pause and start stumbling over words.
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I answered them well enough but there was that "pause" that to me might have relayed a message of "man im dumb".
    Or that you are actually human. That you didn't learn the answers through ****. I'd be more worried if you answered their questions rapid fire as soon as they finished answering them.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Or that you are actually human. That you didn't learn the answers through ****. I'd be more worried if you answered their questions rapid fire as soon as they finished answering them.

I think I might have spoke too much to be honest. I was asked about DNS I gave the definition and gave a couple of examples on securing DNS.
  • Options
    pipemajorpipemajor Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I never try to BS my way through an interview question. If I don't know the answer, I'll reply, "I'm sorry, I don't know that right now but would be glad to look it up and get back to you."
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It is better to pause what you are saying to make sure you're not answering incorrectly than to shoot from the hip and ruin the interview on a simple question. I would rather hire someone that may have a brief delay with the right answer because it shows that they deliberate before opening their mouth.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    lol, yeah I've had one of those types of interviews. Had 6 people sitting at a table grilling me.

Needless to say I folded.

All worked out for the best though in the end. Don't sweat it. Forget about it and move on. Now you have a story to tell your techie friends like I do. :)
  • Options
    pipemajorpipemajor Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had a "panel interview" a few years ago. All 5 of the finalists were brought in at the same time to be interviewed by a panel of 7 questioners. They said they liked doing it that way. I believe I finished 2nd - but doesn't really matter, does it?

Traditional interview last week and I botched it.