Options

Desktop Support

murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
Got a call out of the blu by the IT support manager this past weekend. He said I was high on the list to making the move to IT support for a desktop support role. Sent him my resume, just to see what the job really entitles. My question, would you do anything less than what you are trying to get more experience in? Where I am at now (3 more test to MCSE) I am really trying to go towards Windows Administration. Anything less to me, is just not where I want to be now in my career. Not really sure what a desktop support person does, only maybe doing user support, but wanted to know if anybody knows, does it have any windows admin things involved usually? I know he mentioned last year that he would hire me if I got my MCSA and knew some AD. But I don't know. Haven't called him back cause of my concerns about not doing any windows admin things.
Next up
CIW Web Foundations Associatef(Knock out some certs before WGU)
ITIL Intermediate Service Operations

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    This is internally at your company? What are you doing now?
  • Options
    murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah dynamik, it's internal. I work in the data center on servers but it deals with mostly the hardware side of things. RAID, server builds, server hardware fix. Some OS things, but I have to escalate to the Windows admins that take care of the OS side things. I have fixed problems that I felt I have I could do on my own, and the know that, so a lot of times they will let me do some windows admin stuff. They are in the tech support department. What he called me about was IT support for internal things.
    Next up
    CIW Web Foundations Associatef(Knock out some certs before WGU)
    ITIL Intermediate Service Operations
  • Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Very likely this is client-side support--troubleshoot, repair. deploy, upgrade, configure.
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    I would stay put personally. You're looking good for a move to Wintel if one those guys leave. Usually PC support is a good way into server support eventually but you're nearly there already and good server hardware hands on would be very valuable later on.

You would be wasted if you went to PC support and you would somehow have to figure out how to get back where you were now.

Nice of them to offer but you just have to explain it's servers you want. They'll understand.
    Kam.
  • Options
    UnixGeekUnixGeek Member Posts: 151
    I would pass. It sounds like you're already closer to where you want to be than where this potential job would take you.