QoS over Wireless

nezzy456nezzy456 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

I am currently writing an assignment on Wireless and its relation to the rich multimedia age we are currently entering.

I am looking for a bit of advice and to be put back on track if I have wandered (dont worry I am not looking for anyone to do it for me)

Basically from what I know QoS cannot be implemented on a wireless network due to the fact QoS was made for unicast wired traffic.
But it can obviously be implemented on a wired core network.

So my confusion is...

If I want to communicate using VoIP and have a Laptop connected via wireless to a wireless Access Point which is connected to the core wired network which is then connected to a standard wired Computer.

Would the QoS work for the section of the network which is wired or would the use of the wireless section render QoS unusable.

Laptop <> Wireless Connection <> Wireless Node <> Core Router's/Switches <> Wired Computer

I hope I have explained in enough detail. I have had mixed responses from my peers so I wondered if anyone could help.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Not sure where you got that QoS can not be implemented on wireless networks. Give this wiki a read 802.11 E.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • nezzy456nezzy456 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ahh, a student on my module told me and he sounded pretty confident at the time...

Oh so in that case it would be possible to implement QoS throughout the whole network.

Cheers :)

So would the implementation of the Wireless/Wired heterogeneous network with QoS take some advanced setup? As I will be looking to do this in the lab.