A funny thing happened...switch:

fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm twerking and twerking with the used 2924xl I have... thinking I will upgrade the IOS. Well, I notice that the file size is within my 4MB listed, so I proceed without backing up the original image! icon_sad.gif

So long story short... I'm now sitting at an interesting prompt ... trying to figure out what to do.

I finally found the older image via ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/lan/catalyst/2900XL/4MB/

however I'm stumped on how to get it back up and working?

switch: help
? -- Present list of available commands
boot -- Load and boot an executable image
cat -- Concatenate (type) file(s)
copy -- Copy a file
delete -- Delete file(s)
dir -- List files in directories
flash_init -- Initialize flash filesystem(s)
format -- Format a filesystem
fsck -- Check filesystem consistency
help -- Present list of available commands
load_helper -- Load and initialize a helper image
memory -- Present memory heap utilization information
mkdir -- Create dir(s)
more -- Concatenate (display) file(s)
rename -- Rename a file
reset -- Reset the system
rmdir -- Delete empty dir(s)
set -- Set or display environment variables
trap -- Cause a software breakpoint to occur
type -- Concatenate (type) file(s)
unset -- Unset one or more environment variables
version -- Display boot loader version
-- MORE --
switch:
WIP:
Husband & Fatherhood Caitlin Grace born 8-26-2010

Future Certs:
Q1-2011 - INCD2, Microsoft or Linux (decisions, decisions...)

Comments

• fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am currently trying to load some files I downloaded from here Software Download using the

copy xmodem: flash:file_name command

but I keep getting an I/O error

switch: copy xmodem: flash:c2900xl.bin
    Begin the Xmodem or Xmodem-1K transfer now...
    CCCCCCCCCCBB0BB0xmodem:: I/O error
    switch: copy xmodem: flash:c2900XL-html-orig.112.8.11-SA6.tar
    CCCCCCCCCCBB0BB0xmodem:: I/O error
    switch:
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Is there space available in flash ?

Do the names have to be the same on source and destination ?

It looks like it is copying for a little while then crapping out which is why I ask the above. If it were connectivity, surely you wouldn't get any transfer at all but it looks like you do.
    Kam.
  • fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yes, it appears I have plenty of room in flash. The .bin file I am trying to copy is 1093 kb

starting...
    Base ethernet MAC Address: 00:90:f2:3f:6f:c0
    Xmodem file system is available.
    Initializing Flash...
    flashfs[0]: 1 files, 1 directories
    flashfs[0]: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories
    flashfs[0]: Total bytes: 1728000
    flashfs[0]: Bytes used: 1536
    flashfs[0]: Bytes available: 1726464
    flashfs[0]: flashfs fsck took 2 seconds.
    ...done Initializing Flash.
    Loading "c2900XL-hs-mz-112.8.11-SA6.bin"...c2900XL-hs-mz-112.8.11-SA6.bin: permi
    ssion denied

Error loading "c2900XL-hs-mz-112.8.11-SA6.bin"
    Interrupt within 5 seconds to abort boot process.
    Boot process failed...

The system is unable to boot automatically. The BOOT
    environment variable needs to be set to a bootable
    image.

switch:
    WIP:

Future Certs:
    oh well, I guess I have a nice paperweight now! icon_lol.gif
    WIP:

Future Certs:
    Yea, this is where I was at on it. One thing is confusing to me though about the instructions. In step 3 (where I'm at and can't go past) it states With HyperTerminal, use the TRANSFER -- SEND FILE option using the XMODEM protocol.... I'm not very familiar with hyperterminal, so I'm not sure what I'm suppose to do ... I have an idea right now I'm going to try, but let me know if any of you have any thoughts on using TRANSFER -- SEND FILE options.

Thanks

(Section B) Copy a New Software Image from ROM Monitor

To copy a new software image from a ROMmon follow these steps. For additional documentation on this procedure, refer to Recovering Catalyst 2950, 2955, and 3550 Series Switches from a Corrupted or Missing Image.
    1. Check the remaining memory capacity. If the size of the file to be loaded is larger than the available capacity, delete the existing image in Flash to make space for a new image.
      The command to delete the existing image in Flash is delete flash: filname , where filename is the name of the file to be deleted. A sample command output is shown here.
      delete flash:cat2900XL-h2s-mz.112-8.5-SA6.bin
    2. Download a new Cisco IOS-only image file from the Cisco Software Center ([SIZE=-1] registered customers only[/SIZE]) to your PC. Do not download a Cisco IOS image with Cluster Management Suite (CMS) files. Xmodem transfer is a very slow procedure. It takes longer to copy the larger images.
    3. Copy the image to the Flash using HyperTerminal for Microsoft Windows, or another terminal software program. The command on the switch is copy xmodem: flash:filename , where filename is the name of file that you downloaded. With HyperTerminal, use the TRANSFER -- SEND FILE option using the XMODEM protocol. Start the XMODEM download within three seconds. Otherwise, the switch times out the XMODEM copy.
      When the XMODEM request appears, issue the appropriate command on the terminal-emulation software to start the transfer. Copy the software image into Flash memory. The command to issue is switch: copy xmodem: flash:image_filename .
    WIP:

Future Certs:
    Ok... I think I figured it out now (crossing fingers)
    WIP:

Future Certs:
    icon_cheers.gif SUCCESS icon_cheers.gif

switch: copy xmodem: flash:c2900XL-hs-mz-112.8.11-SA6.bin
    CCCC............................................................................
    ................................................................................
    ................................................................................
    File "xmodem:" successfully copied to "flash:c2900XL-hs-mz-112.8.11-SA6.bin"
    switch:
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Sweet. Nice one.... Now don't do it again ;)

Trivial FTP is just that. Trivial and not very clever at all. Had hours of endless (NOT) fun upgrading the IOS on my routers and switches. Definately one of those things best learnt by doing. Next step is to upgrade the memory if you can. Ebay memory prices are not too shabby and be another good learning practice.
    Kam.
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    Sweet. Nice one.... Now don't do it again ;)

Trivial FTP is just that. Trivial and not very clever at all. Had hours of endless (NOT) fun upgrading the IOS on my routers and switches. Definately one of those things best learnt by doing. Next step is to upgrade the memory if you can. Ebay memory prices are not too shabby and be another good learning practice.

Well that is an idea! I will take the unit apart at some point, I am sure. If I can get more RAM and it has a slot, why not!

However I was considering dumping the IOS again and trying to load the 12.x IOS. All the documentation and forums I have seen say it cannot be upgraded past 11.2

Before I do that this time, I will be backing this one up!
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Revised May 22, 2007
    Cisco IOS Release 12.0(5)WC17 runs on Catalyst 2900 series XL and Catalyst 3500 series XL switches with 8-MB CPU DRAM. This release also runs on Catalyst 2900 series Long-Reach Ethernet (LRE) XL switches with 16-MB CPU DRAM. This release does not run on Catalyst 2900 series XL switches with 4-MB CPU DRAM.
    Revised May 22, 2007
    Cisco IOS Release 12.0(5)WC17 runs on Catalyst 2900 series XL and Catalyst 3500 series XL switches with 8-MB CPU DRAM. This release also runs on Catalyst 2900 series Long-Reach Ethernet (LRE) XL switches with 16-MB CPU DRAM. This release does not run on Catalyst 2900 series XL switches with 4-MB CPU DRAM.

Tha's what they say!
    WIP:

Future Certs:
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    Is there space available in flash ?

Do the names have to be the same on source and destination ?

It looks like it is copying for a little while then crapping out which is why I ask the above. If it were connectivity, surely you wouldn't get any transfer at all but it looks like you do.

Actually ... it's not copying at that prompt ... it's "waiting" ... it's waiting for me to choose an option.... when you right-click in hyperterminal it gives you additional options. That is where the TRANSFER - SEND come into play.
    WIP:

Future Certs: