Microsoft exchange server is unavailable!

BrainwardBrainward Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I have come across an issue with some laptops in my company. I open Outlook 2003 and I get the following error

Microsoft exchange server is unavailable

Retry - Work Offline - Cancel

I am on the network, I can access the internet, I can ping the exchange server on this machine, other people can access the Exchange server while this person is getting the error.

If I click retry nothing happens. If I remove the Outlook Profile, restart the laptop and add the exchange server and mailbox back in it works!!!!! confused.gif

Does anyone know a fix for this???

Thanks in advance...
user_online.gifreport.gif progress.gifedit.gif

Comments

• Graham_84Graham_84 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    are you using cached exchange mode? if linkage with the ost have failed, then you may want to use Start>Run outlook.exe /resetfolders. Also try if your not using cached exchanged, to goto tools, email accounts, view or change existing, goto the exchange server advanced and choose to disable offline usage. Let me know, should be too hard a one to nail. Also when you have outlook with the retry work offline option, Hold ctrl and right click outlook icon by the clock and look at connection status.
    Currently having a break after the MCITP:EA. Citrix or Cisco next, not sure!
  • BrainwardBrainward Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    No not using cached mode.

Will try those few things.

Someone suggested I remove the TCPIP settings - reboot - add them back in.
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Brainward wrote: »
    No not using cached mode.

Will try those few things.

Someone suggested I remove the TCPIP settings - reboot - add them back in.

Have you checked the vent logs on the client and the server?
    Rather than removing the TCP/IP protocol just use these two commands:

netsh int ip reset C:\reset.txt
    netsh winsock reset

And reboot. It will be faster and does essentially the same thing.
  • BrainwardBrainward Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So I rebuilt the machine on Thursday and it is happening again this morning. The user has a PA and has access to his Mailbox and Calendar, would this cause any known issues???
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    No, it shouldn't cause any issues. I concur with Robert, is there anything interesting in the event logs? Do you have multiple mailbox servers?
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Does the Outlook profile that was deployed with the Outlook client contain the name of an Exchange server that no longer exists?