Options

Does anyone else find studying for this

SmootCISSmootCIS Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
Does anyone else find studying for the 620 exam, just boring and not very worthwhile. I am taking the practice test, and passing just by using common scene. Most of this information (or at least the worthwhile information) seems to be covered in the 70-270. I am actually worried I will not pass these test simply because I keep studying for future exams in the time period I am setting aside for this one. I take the test Tuesday, and so far I have gotten through 5 pages of my book. I tried watching nuggets but they are putting me to sleep also. I actually enjoyed the last cert not to impressed with this one. Anyone have any advice?

Comments

• Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    why are you going for this exam then if it's not something you're interested in? It sounds like you already have the 270, so you've got the OS exam for an MCSA...are you going to use this exam as your elective? Why not pick something that you're more interested in?

This exam wasn't a piece of cake and you (obviously) still have to know the subject matter very well, but compared to other MS exams, it's on the easier end of the spectrum. How comfortable are you with the exam objectives? I'm not one to advocate not studying for an exam, but if you've got a good indepth understanding and broad usage of all the features/functions of Vista, and if the reading is boring you to death, then you might be able to get by with just doing the exercises in the MS Press book. They were great practice for the real thing.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That's pretty good advice from skrpune, and I'll add to it. Dont take this exam too lightly, even though it seems easy. In fact it is "fairly easy" compared to some of the others on the MCSE track (such as the 293/294 etc), but it's easy to be complacent.

I found it out the hard way. I tried to wing the exam (mind you, I had the second shot in hand back then), and failed. So you might be able to sneak through if you have been using Vista extensively. If it were my money, I'd push it back by a week or so and go through the book/review questions.

It might be boring but stick it out mate. It's $125 in question, not to mention the dented pride if you flunk.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    skrpune wrote: »
    why are you going for this exam then if it's not something you're interested in? It sounds like you already have the 270, so you've got the OS exam for an MCSA...are you going to use this exam as your elective? Why not pick something that you're more interested in?

This exam wasn't a piece of cake and you (obviously) still have to know the subject matter very well, but compared to other MS exams, it's on the easier end of the spectrum. How comfortable are you with the exam objectives? I'm not one to advocate not studying for an exam, but if you've got a good indepth understanding and broad usage of all the features/functions of Vista, and if the reading is boring you to death, then you might be able to get by with just doing the exercises in the MS Press book. They were great practice for the real thing.

I have been taking the practice exams for this and have been well into the passing side(not by taking the same questions over and over, but cold). I am taking this as my elective, at the time I didn't really think it through, I tried to switch the exam but that would have taken to long to get a refund and then repost the money for the Exchange 2003 TS I would rather be working on. I am taking this test tomorrow, I am just looking at it as a practice exam, that I may just get a cert out of. I passed the 270 with a 905 with about 2 days study, I have been in the field for 10 years so have a firm understanding on the concepts, just wished they made a book the showed the differences between the two. everything I am finding on the the test seems geared towards people needing to go through all the basics. I may have just wasted 125 dollars though, but I was planning on paying for me next exam out of this weeks paycheck anyways, and I would rather not set myself behind on my time table by rescheduling this test. I am just not going to study for this one, I cannot find any materials that hold my interest. I am pretty comfortable with the exam objectives, I just can't get through this one. I mean maybe I have really bad study mats, but they are putting me asleep, so instead of studying for this one I keep finding myself opening up the 290 book going further in it. I just think I made a bad choose on this one unfortunately, but have learned a life lesson in not taking the easy way, but the way that interest me.
  • Options
    Essendon wrote: »
    That's pretty good advice from skrpune, and I'll add to it. Dont take this exam too lightly, even though it seems easy. In fact it is "fairly easy" compared to some of the others on the MCSE track (such as the 293/294 etc), but it's easy to be complacent.

I found it out the hard way. I tried to wing the exam (mind you, I had the second shot in hand back then), and failed. So you might be able to sneak through if you have been using Vista extensively. If it were my money, I'd push it back by a week or so and go through the book/review questions.

It might be boring but stick it out mate. It's $125 in question, not to mention the dented pride if you flunk.

Great advise, but I have became complacent on this one already. I am taking it tomorrow if I fail it I am just moving on. Like I said I am doing well on the practice exams given with the book. I am actually doing better on it then I did with the 270 and I got a 905 on it. So I am going to give it a shot, if it doesn't work out, well I am on to the next one. I do not plan on retrying, I shouldn't have taken an exam that I don't have interest in, in the first place.
    125 is worth a life lesson I guess.