Unable to see WRT54G Router when Running the CDP command

E1or0E1or0 Banned Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello guys I'm practically new here & currently studying for the CCNA Exam I've been doing couple of labs before jumping into the test but I'm currently experiencing an issue where I'm not able to see my Linksys WRT54G Router when running the sh cdp neighbors command, am I missing something on my WRT54G that for some reason is not showing on my 2503 Cisco Router? Any help would be appreciated Thank you icon_rolleyes.gif

Comments

• jmc012jmc012 Member Posts: 134
    E1or0 wrote: »
    Hello guys I'm practically new here & currently studying for the CCNA Exam I've been doing couple of labs before jumping into the test but I'm currently experiencing an issue where I'm not able to see my Linksys WRT54G Router when running the sh cdp neighbors command, am I missing something on my WRT54G that for some reason is not showing on my 2503 Cisco Router? Any help would be appreciated Thank you icon_rolleyes.gif

CDP just works one Cisco devices, even though Linksys is owned by Cisco it's not a real Cisco router.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    What jmc012 said. Linksys was bought by Cisco and is their SOHO brand. The Linksys products are generally Linux or VxWorks based and don't share anything with Cisco IOS including CDP.
  • E1or0E1or0 Banned Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you guys for replying that fast, So there is no way that connected to the console port of my 2500 Series Router I would be able to see the WRT54G Linksys Router when running the cdp command from the Cisco Router to see who's connected directly including the Linksys?
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    o there is no way that connected to the console port of my 2500 Series Router I would be able to see the WRT54G Linksys Router when running the cdp command from the Cisco Router to see who's connected directly including the Linksys?
    No. Not unless you install some sort of CDP responder onto the WRT54G. The protocol is fairly well documented so you can make your own software if necessary.

Why do you want to do this anyway?
    I'm just practicing with the cdp commands to map my network, the Linksys I have it as the gateway of last resort, just wanted to see if I was able to see it from my 2500 since the WRT54G is connected to the Ethe int of the Cisco Router
  • ncsugrad2002ncsugrad2002 Member Posts: 131
    I'm just practicing with the cdp commands to map my network, the Linksys I have it as the gateway of last resort, just wanted to see if I was able to see it from my 2500 since the WRT54G is connected to the Ethe int of the Cisco Router

yeah, as already stated, it doesn't support CDP and there isn't much you can do about it.
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    If you want to see it in action, use the Cisco Packet Tracer software or Dynamips or something like that. CDP definitely is a Cisco Proprietary Protocol (CISCO devices only) sort of the same as IGRP and EIGRP. But of course those are layer 3, not layer 2 like CDP :)
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Just look at it this way....your linksys is the ISP router and the one connected to it is your edge router. You wouldn't be running CDP between CPE and PE devices in the real world....so just look at it that way. Definitley practice CDP though I use it ALL the time when mapping out my network, and trust me when it's 3 am and you're pager won't stop going off it can really be helpful. Esp when other groups documentation isn't correct and you need to draw out the network yourself.
    Understood Guys, shednik very good explanation there...Thank you icon_thumright.gif - and also Thanks to everyone else :)
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    You can even practice it in packet tracer. That's how I have practiced it until I got my real equipment. It works just as good. Only some commands can't be performed, but CDP can :)