probably a newbie question but...

jjbrogjjbrog Member Posts: 149
seems my 2600 router and my 2500 router(haven't done a whole lot with em yet, just doing packet tracer usually cause its all I've needed) seem to start up with just a empty running config, and not the startup config I copied? granted I know the startup is saved cause I can go
en
copy star run
and all is well, but how do I get the router to boot up in my start config?
Started a forum for networking students, its new and needs people!
http://netadminstudents.zxq.net/phpBB3/
HTC students encouraged to join :)

Comments

• mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds like your configuration register on the routers are most likely set to 0x2142 which ignores the nvram contents upon boot.

in global configuration mode set your configuration-register to 0x2102
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cisco routers usually default to look for a valid configuration file from NVRAM or the startup config unless you have a different config register value.

The config register value should be 0x2102 to load the startup config from NVRAM. When you type show version, what config register value do you see ?

It might be something like 0x2142
  • kimanydkimanyd Banned Posts: 103
    Wouldn't you want to do a copy run start?
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    kimanyd wrote: »

Nope. Not if the config register is set to ignore the contents. It wouldn't make a difference. Upon each reboot the router would come up in initial configuration.
    But if it isn't, wouldn't you just be overwriting your running config with a blank/default startup config? Therefore, none of your changes would actually be saved. It seems like that would explain the problem...
  • billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Technically your changes would be saved. If you configure it with the initial configuration and then do a copy run start. It will save to NVRAM (startup-config). But, when reloading the router, the router sees the 0x2142 config-register value and says, "Hey, ignore the contents in the startup-config. Check your config-register value. You can do a configuration and then change it to 0x2102 (normal boot). Check the document on your router to be sure.
    I'm not disputing how that works. The command he's issuing is copying the start-up config over the running config though...
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The command he's issuing is copying the start-up config over the running config though...
    jjbrog wrote: »
    granted I know the startup is saved cause I can go
    en
    copy star run
    and all is well

Since "all is well" that sounds like they saved their config, rebooted and didn't get their saved config because of the config register setting -- but get their saved config back when they manually copy it over from the startup config (that got skipped on boot up because of the config register) to the running config.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

Be careful. You might lose the startup config completely. Suggest the config reg value is checked and changed if required.

copy star run to load NVRAM into running config
    copy run star to lose what you really want ;)

I think the config value is simply bypassing NVRAM config.
    Had I truly read the first post, I probably would have picked up on that... icon_redface.gif

In my defense, Sundays are basically Saturdays on three-day weekends drunken_smilie.gif
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Had I truly read the first post, I probably would have picked up on that... icon_redface.gif

In my defense, Sundays are basically Saturdays on three-day weekends drunken_smilie.gif

;) Yup. Could get you fired that. Or the guy who is supposed to keep backup of configs..

copy star run to get what you need
    copy run star to lose what you need. Possibly permanently!