Options

Do you need A+ certification AND an associates degree to become a PC tech?

heideggerheidegger Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm taking an A+ class and trying to get A+ certification. I read on the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics site that some companies require a bachelor's or associates degree to become a PC tech. Do you need an associate's degree to get in computer support roles?

Comments

• Options
    fleckfleck Banned Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It will help your chances at being hired. Arguably, knowing the right people can help your chances even more.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Degrees are interesting and you can get into long debates if they do or do not have actual value or if they are just legacy hurdles left over from a 20th century way of thinking and educating. So ill save you the debate of the failures of modern western education systems.

A+ is a great idea to get started. But I have found experience is the most valuable. You might have to take a lower end job, like Geek Squad and help desk before higher end jobs will start to respect you all while studying for certification.
    Anyhow, start with these…

Microsoft Office Certification, you need to know the user’s environment to get by
    A+, you need to know computer hardware
    Server+, you should be comfortable with server hardware as well
    MCDST/MCITP: Enterprise Technician, you need to know the client operating system
    -Daniel
  • Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    You really don't need either... Do they help? Of course, but they aren't required. If you know the right people you can get almost any job...

I'd recommend having both, and more.
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    leefdaddy wrote: »
    You really don't need either... Do they help? Of course, but they aren't required. If you know the right people you can get almost any job...

+1 I got my current job through networking. But I am working on finishing up my MCSE -298 to go and an AAS in networking, to help show my initiative and drive.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    leefdaddy wrote: »

I agree with the above to a point...one shouldn't waste time on credentials that really don't improve move you to your career goals...whatever they may be.

IF you are self-employed, you can limit the type of clients you take on and make a good living maintaining their networks, etc.. self-study and just develop the niche.

IF you want to work for someone else or land clients who will request your credentials, then...it would be prudent to have degrees (first) and certifcations (second) to highlight your ability to acheive at least a minimum level of knowledge within an area or in some cases to even be permitted to bid on jobs. It just depends.

As far as 'needing' an A+. If you are not planning on being someone who fixes crashed/dead workstations and notebooks, but more along the lines of network support/Administrative support...then no. You won't need it. It also won't hurt you, but you could certainly invest your time into the certs that will matter for your line of work rather then in ones that are only nice to have.

YMMV
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    heidegger wrote: »
    I'm taking an A+ class and trying to get A+ certification. I read on the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics site that some companies require a bachelor's or associates degree to become a PC tech. Do you need an associate's degree to get in computer support roles?
    Anyone who would go to college for four years to take a $9/hr PC tech job has issues.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    curtisdaleycurtisdaley Member Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    PC Tech goes passed just A+, you need to know Server Hardware aswell, typically IT Tech have to know Server OS's aswell as Client O's aswell as Routing & Switching! Most PC Tech's are MCSA/E, CCNA qualified aswell as A+! You go to College to be a serious programmer or networker!
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm not sure. All I know is that you need to be better than the next guy. If he has everything you have minus the A+, you'll be ahead... Same way if reversed. I say anything that can put you ahead is good.

Although, I've seen some with loads of experience, degree and certs take the low paying job just because it was there and it was open. I'd do the same about right now...
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    PC509 wrote: »

Although, I've seen some with loads of experience, degree and certs take the low paying job just because it was there and it was open. I'd do the same about right now...

Well, there is something to be said for being able to 'prove' what one knows and how well they interact with end-users and peers. All the credentials in the world don't mean squat if the applicant lacks the ability to communicate clearly and professionally.

And many times, those perceived 'low-pay-jobs' lead to some amazing opportunities, look long-term!

At the moment, there is a lot of talent available and systems are easier for the non-typical IT person to manage, so more firms only need help with setup-occassional maintenance- and the rest they do inhouse with computer savy people rather then IT folks.

Darn GUI's icon_wink.gif
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?