New Horizons?

seanw87seanw87 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
I got a call back on one of my resumes today from a company named New Horizons(Microsoft Training, Cisco Training, IT Training, Computer Training, Certifications - New Horizons Computer Learning Centers). He described the company as a sort of job placement agency, but their website appears to be focused entirely on IT training.

I have a meeting with them later this week, but I'm a little apprehensive because it might just turn out to be a sales pitch.

Has anyone worked with New Horizons as a job placement agency? How were your experiences?

Comments

• veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    seanw87 wrote: »
    I got a call back on one of my resumes today from a company named New Horizons(Microsoft Training, Cisco Training, IT Training, Computer Training, Certifications - New Horizons Computer Learning Centers). He described the company as a sort of job placement agency, but their website appears to be focused entirely on IT training.

I have a meeting with them later this week, but I'm a little apprehensive because it might just turn out to be a sales pitch.

Has anyone worked with New Horizons as a job placement agency? How were your experiences?

For some reason I am getting red flags now. I remember there being a posting here before about this topic. If I am wrong someone please correct me.
  • kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The only New Horizons I'm familiar with is an IT Training company, but I would bet heavy money that there are several other companies out there operating under that name. It's likely that there's some kind of staffing firm out there with this name.

Are you certain that you hit the correct website?

MS
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    run. fast.

New Horizons will just want you to pay thousands for training that isnt very good, imo and then pretend to find you job possibilities, which they wont.

Theyre training is subpar and they absolutely arent going to find you a job. The only worth they have is being a Prometric/VUE testing center.
  • seanw87seanw87 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    kevozz wrote: »
    Thank you for that link. Being that my schooling will be paid for by the GI Bill/VA Vocational Rehab, I am wondering if it might be worth it if they really will find me a job.
    eMeS wrote: »
    The only New Horizons I'm familiar with is an IT Training company, but I would bet heavy money that there are several other companies out there operating under that name. It's likely that there's some kind of staffing firm out there with this name.

Are you certain that you hit the correct website?

MS
    No, I'm not positive that's the correct website, I just did a quick Google search. I guess I'll find out on Friday if my suspicions are correct.

EDIT: You posted this while I was typing my response.
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    run. fast.

New Horizons will just want you to pay thousands for training that isnt very good, imo and then pretend to find you job possibilities, which they wont.

Theyre training is subpar and they absolutely arent going to find you a job. The only worth they have is being a Prometric/VUE testing center.
    So there is no guarantee that they will find you a position?

Theres never a gurantee, ever. Colleges, training facilities, staffing firms etc all make empty promises and you can't let yourself rely on them solely to get you bye. You are going to have to make it happen.

I've had my resume in with several staffing companies in town for years as i progressed from entry level, to top level desktop support to now a systems administrator, and theyve never called to do anything but "check" on me.
    Thank you for that insight, Hyper-Me, I'll definitely go in there with my guard up.

On the other side of the fence, has anyone had a positive experience with New Horizons? Please speak up.icon_wink.gif
    Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, just giving you fair warning that you have to fight for yourself. If you do put your information in with some staffing agencies, be sure to keep on them and call every few weeks to remind them you are looking.
    You're not being a downer at all. On the contrary actually, your advice is exactly what I was looking for when I made this thread.

I still plan to go to the meeting but I certainly won't get in over my head with a sales pitch.icon_wink.gif
  • kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□

They offer you "Job Placement Assistance" and internships. Far as I can tell, they don't guarantee any type of job placement.

Student Services - Admissions - New Horizons Computer Learning Centers

They may still offer the Test Pass Guarantee for the exams.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The quality of their training seems to vary from location to location -- there are some good locations and some really really really bad locations.

The "callback" sounds like it could be a salesperson desperate for a commission using the "I could get you a job if you had these certifications" scam.

I'd say it may be worth going for the "interview" if you think you could use the "job interview practice" -- but if it turns out to be a "sales pitch" and they lied about having a job, you might want to ask them why you should believe anything they say about the quality of their training. And then RUN AWAY as fast as you can!!
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    I'm pretty sure that New Horizons are individually owned.

The location near me went out of business due to some "legal" issues.
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm pretty sure that New Horizons are individually owned.

The location near me went out of business due to some "legal" issues.

They're franchises, so yes, if we're talking about the NH that does IT training they are typically independently owned.

I know from time to time I provide instructors for them, primarily for the random ITIL class that they sell. I can tell you that I've never had any problem, but they are always looking for a "deal" (which I'm not inclined to give). In fact, I have an instructor going to the one in Memphis this weekend to deliver an ITIL class next week.

I will say this...they generally have no idea WTF they are selling, and are very much operating on what I would call a "butts in chairs" basis.

I've never had a problem with payment, etc... so if this is the same "NH" then I can say they are reputable from that perspective. Then again, I've only worked with a handful of them, so there can always be bad apples...

I really didn't know that they were in the job placement business...

MS
  • DM05DM05 Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    As others have said... there is no job.

They will sit you in there and tell you that you would be marketable if you had x certification. And for thousands of dollars, they can get it for you. But there is no job guarantee. And tbh, once you paid for your classes, they aren't going to care whether you find a job or not. They are there to sell training classes. Not find you a job.

Since you said the GI Bill will cover your education, go get a degree. That will open so many more doors for you.
  • bgrablinbgrablin Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Be a diligent studier, and listen to the advice on these forums as to what study material was used per cert. If you have the determination, you can get any cert you want. Purchase the study material that others have suggested and fully utilize them. It's a lot easier to follow than any FM you have ever read.

Don't get suckered into a $2,700 class (at least not until your are going for a more advanced cert). Find what you like, and get certified in doing so.

My recommendation is to go for the Network+ or the Security+. DoD Directive 8570.1 requires one of those certs to work for the government. After you obtain one (or both) of those certs, you should have a good enough direction on where you want to go IT related.

Getting certified is much easier than any FFE mission.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton

My Site | Face
    Just got back, it was just a sales pitch. Luckily, I don't have any money so he got me out of there pretty quick!:D

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

bgrablin - You mentioned more advanced certs. Since these classes may still be an option with my GI Bill/Voc Rehab, what would you consider an advanced cert?
  • bgrablinbgrablin Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    bgrablin - You mentioned more advanced certs. Since these classes may still be an option with my GI Bill/Voc Rehab, what would you consider an advanced cert?

It really depends on your competency level and ability to comprehend reading material and study resources that are available to you. I would say, you should start with Net+ and if you find that you passed without a problem, keep pushing yourself for harder certs until you find a self-study stopping point. After that, look into the courses.

On the other hand, if the courses offered are 100% covered by your VOC REHAB, I would say it wouldn't hurt to take the 5 day course that some places offer.

It's really up to your ability to retain the information that is presented to you. Good luck, in whatever path you choose. Either way it's a great decision.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton

My Site | Face
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    They will act like its a job interview, but in reality its just a sales pitch for their program. I went through their MCSE/CCNA training. My trainer was excellent, but its hit or miss. Some trainers are exceptional, while others are subpar. I would say I had a good experience there, but their sales approach is a little deceitful.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."