270 vs 620?

seanw87seanw87 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm planning a certification path for myself and I'm trying to decide between 270 and 620.

While I'm very familiar with XP, I think it might behoove me to study for the 620 and become more diverse in my OS knowledge. Another thing I'm considering is the move to Windows 7. From my experience, 7 feels a lot like Vista, so I think I may kill two birds with one stone by taking the 620 since it will also familiarize me(somewhat) with 7.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    At this point, id just go ahead and test on Windows 7 (70-680).

Most everything youd learn for Vista will be good knowledge for Vista, but newer and most desired by companies. The 7 test is also a lot more geared towards enterprise and not just "basic" knowledge.
  • seanw87seanw87 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I didn't realize there was a Windows 7 test available, thanks for that information!

However, I don't see the 680 listed as an option for the MCSA/E on Microsoft's site. Is it safe to assume they simply haven't added it yet and it will be included as an option for the requirements?
  • Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Well there is no telling if they will add it for the MCSE. If you are just now starting down a path for MCSE, i would consider just doing the MCITP: Enterprise Administrator path instead (Its basically the MCSE for Server 2008 ).
  • seanw87seanw87 Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm familiar with what the MCITP is, I'm just a little hesitant about jumping into it. I know that eventually it will replace the MCSA/E but at this point in time the MCSA/E is far more prevalent in job requirements.

On one hand, I'd like to stay ahead of the curve. On the other hand, I don't want to be so far ahead of the curve that I'm certified on things that a potential employer isn't planning on upgrading to any time in the near future.
  • murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would do the 2008 track. MCSE is like 7 test, and if you have no MCP test under your belt right now, the 08 track would be best. Or you could just do MCSE then upgrade to MCITP.

peace
    Next up
    CIW Web Foundations Associatef(Knock out some certs before WGU)
    ITIL Intermediate Service Operations