Options

vsftp server

aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

setting up an FTP server on Ubuntu Server 8.04 using vsftp,

using pratically the default configuration I have the home directory displaying when a user(me) logs in. I've also got some other directories /* that I'd like to have access to, I have permission to say map a drive to these folders but can't access them through my ftp service.
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Comments

• Options
    Solaris_UNIXSolaris_UNIX Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys,

setting up an FTP server on Ubuntu Server 8.04 using vsftp,

using pratically the default configuration I have the home directory displaying when a user(me) logs in. I've also got some other directories /* that I'd like to have access to, I have permission to say map a drive to these folders but can't access them through my ftp service.

Have you tried checking at the Ubuntu forums at ubuntuforums.org? I just typed "ubuntu" and "vsftp" into google and some of the first links that came up were these ones from the Ubuntu forums:

[ubuntu] newbie adding vsftp - setting up usernames and passwords - Ubuntu Forums

[ubuntu] VsFTP Access Restrictions Help - Ubuntu Forums

vsftp doesnt have primissions - Ubuntu Forums

I'm also curious, why do you need to use FTP to transfer your files when SFTP and SCP are much more secure? Is there any reason why SFTP or SCP wouldn't work just as well?

If the computer in question isn't a large multi-user system where you want to prevent hundreds or thousands of users from having shell access, I don't see why you can't just use SFTP to transfer the files through your SSH port (port 22).

You realize that everytime you log in to an ftp or telnet server without using a VPN or some other kind of encryption, you're broadcasting your login and password information in plain text so that anyone sniffing any point in the network path between you and the server can see your username and password if they want to and then use it as a starting point to break in to your server.

If you're trying to upload files from a Microsoft Windows client to a Linux or Unix server, the best way to do it IMO is to install a program called "WinSCP" on the Windows client (see link below):

WinSCP :: Free SFTP and FTP client for Windows

and then upload the files through the SSH port using SFTP. SSH will encrypt all the data for you adding some much needed security that FTP lacks.

ps -e -o pid | xargs -t -n1 pfiles | grep "port: $PORT"

dtrace -n 'syscall::write:entry { @num[zonename] = count(); }'

http://get.a.clue.de/Fun/advsh.html

http://www.perturb.org/display/entry/462/
  • Options
    aueddonlineaueddonline Member Posts: 611 ■■□□□□□□□□
    yeah unfortunately it's FTP or nothing

found this which pretty much answers my question

Allowing FTP access to files outside the home directory chroot | MDLog:/sysadmin

As you mentioned VPN, anyone use VPN proxy service such as hidemyass pro?
    What's another word for Thesaurus?