Options

Overwhelmed

Anyone else feel liked their getting passed by certs/technology wise? I am still on 2003 certwise and my company is still on 2003 serverwise and not only has 2008 came out now 2008 R2 has came out which is supposed to be Microsoft's next server OS, you can't even upgrade 2008 to 2008 R2. Then I am still on XP and my company is still on XP and now Vista is getting passed by Windows 7. Anyone else feel like their getting left behind in the dust? I mean if you are still on 2003 and XP you are now going to be 2 server and OS versions behind! Besides getting caught up on certs how do you stay up on top of all this if your companies not?

Comments

• Options
    WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    joey74055 wrote: »
    Anyone else feel liked their getting passed by certs/technology wise? I am still on 2003 certwise and my company is still on 2003 serverwise and not only has 2008 came out now 2008 R2 has came out which is supposed to be Microsoft's next server OS, you can't even upgrade 2008 to 2008 R2. Then I am still on XP and my company is still on XP and now Vista is getting passed by Windows 7. Anyone else feel like their getting left behind in the dust? I mean if you are still on 2003 and XP you are now going to be 2 server and OS versions behind! Besides getting caught up on certs how do you stay up on top of all this if your companies not?

There is nothing forcing you to not keep up with certs on your own. Just because your company is not using 2008 or Windows 7, doesn't mean you can't train yourself up. With the invention of Virtual Machines, it is easier than ever to work on Windows Certifications on your own.

You are in an industry where self-study and taking the initiative on your own is the only way to get ahead. Your best bet is to buy some Server 2008 books, get a trial copy of Server and start self studying, at worst, you are smarter than your counterparts, at best when your company finally decides to upgrade to 2008, you can waive the Certifications you have in the air and probably score yourself a raise in the process...
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Take a deep breath.... and relax.
    Remember that Server 2003 also had an R2. This might seem like a lot but the R2 changes are not so huge. The change to Win 7 will not be so huge either. Eventually you will be forced to upgrade systems or introduce systems like 2008 R2 and Win 7 into your environment, but that's not a huge deal either. It might be something to feel anxiety about if you had to migrate all your servers to 2008 today. But what will be more likely is that you will slowly introduce new systems until your final 2003 box gets retired in 2013 and you bump up the functional levels to 2008.

Remember, they are just tools. And just because it is new doesn't mean you have to upgrade to it. If 2003 is still working in 2010, keep using it.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■

I really don't think your justified in your fears. MCSE and MCSA certifications are going to be very powerful for a long time. I work for a large international company and the root domain servers are still (believe it or not) NT! They are suppose to be migrated over to 2003 sometime this year icon_rolleyes.gif As they say though, if it's not broken why change it? Finish your MCSE/MCSA and you are going to be in a safe place for quite a while.
  • Options
    joey74055joey74055 Member Posts: 216
    Ok, thanks guys, what you all have stated does make me feel better, lol

Yes, I agree, the with what you all are saying, go ahead finish 2003 then move on to 2008 even if my company isn't running it because one day they will be or another future employer may already be running it.

Yeah, and 2003 isn't going anywhere anytime soon like you all have stated, as I remember we just finished off our last 2000 box at the beginning of this year.

I think that it is easy though to sometimes feel a little overwhelmed with so much new technology coming out and how it changes every few years, but then again thats IT and one reason I like IT, keeps you from getting bored :0)
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ok, thanks guys, what you all have stated does make me feel better, lol

Yes, I agree, the with what you all are saying, go ahead finish 2003 then move on to 2008 even if my company isn't running it because one day they will be or another future employer may already be running it.

Yeah, and 2003 isn't going anywhere anytime soon like you all have stated, as I remember we just finished off our last 2000 box at the beginning of this year.

I think that it is easy though to sometimes feel a little overwhelmed with so much new technology coming out and how it changes every few years, but then again thats IT and one reason I like IT, keeps you from getting bored :0)

Remember, you can never know it all no matter how much you want to (I feel the same way sometimes.) You have to find the niche that you love most and then become the best at it.

Oh, and 2008 is an easy upgrade path for you after you finish your MCSA/MCSE.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcse.aspx#tab4
  • Options
    StarkeStarke Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You should just try and relax. Again this is the field you got into, it requires keeping up with the new technologies. Start playing with 2008 now so when your company moves to it you will be better prepared. Many of the times companies don't move to the newer technologies because IT department is usually not comfortable with it.

FYI yes you can upgrade to Server 2008 R2, you just can't upgrade from 32 bit but hopefully most people are running 64 bit at this point.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/migration-paths.aspx
    MCSA: Windows Server 2012 - MCITP (SA, EA, EMA) - CCA (XD4, XD5, XS5, XS6) - VCP 4
  • Options
    mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Remember, they are just tools.

Totally correct. Couldn't agree more. More importantly, users find that IT programs are tools to get their work done. We think of an OS as thousands of carefully worked man hours and craftsmanship and skill, users see them purely as an aid to use their own skills.

As long as users need these tools, we will be in jobs, and lets face it, in todays markets we should feel pretty lucky.

I am still studying 2003 at the moment, but I dont know anyone who works in our organisation who has even looked at studying 2008 yet. Personally, I am looking forward to it. Once 2008 is studied I can concentrate on refining the knowledge I have built up, and build on it some more, then hopefully by the time we implement 2008, I can have the strongest possible start with it, which in turn should assist users in keeping their tools as trouble free as possible.

Hopefully this makes sense icon_cool.gif
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well Addiing to wat veritas_libertas - i also work for a large intl organisation where we still have office 2003 , server 2003 and Winxp - vista in not on the cards and the proto team is testing on Win 7 ( which is likely to be deployed 2010 Dec..

So there is still nothing to panic on stating that your are left behind coz u can still learn hem and crack with your cert :D forward..........
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    it2bit2b Member Posts: 117

I share your anxiety. I went from a consulting company where you were expected to know all the new technologies to a manufacturing company where they seem to be afraid of it. I feel like my skillset is slipping based on what we use here.

As I look for new opportunities on the job boards I'm driving my self nuts trying to get up to speed on what's in demand.
  • Options
    AlexMRAlexMR Member Posts: 275
    As with the business landscape, to stay ahead iin IT is not merely about keeping up with the changes but anticipating them. At this point, for me it is hard to keep up with anything because I am a career changer-to-be. I am a civil engineer studying IT trying to get to the field. For me, it is sometimes overwhelming. Because there seems to be millions of possible things to do. I did some research and it seems that my best bet based on the job market in my area is networking, specially Cisco. I am now CCNA and am currently studying for voice and security specializations.

There has to be a point where you are up to date with your current employer and you can then decide if you are going to pursue and learn the technologies that are likely to be adopted in your company, or simply start learning what might make you more marketable.

The thing here is that, make no mistake, IT is for nerds. if you have issues with studying for the rest of your career then IT might not be the best option for you. I've known a couple IT persons who have reached a very high positiion in their careers, and it only stop (if you decide) when yoou go to business school and get an MBA and then get to management. You could get there without the MBA but it is hard.

Honestly, once you have an established career, the new possibilities should be exciting, not stressing. That is if you have what I think is the right personality for the field: Nerd. :p

Good luck.
    Training/Studying for....CCNP (BSCI) and some MS.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    As they say though, if it's not broken why change it?

Because the new technologies offer superior reliability, feature sets, among other things.

That's not to say that the MCSA/E is worthless. They are worth theyre weight in gold.

What I am saying, is that there is no excuse for not trying to stay ahead of the game. As previously stated, you never know when your manager will hear about some cool feature about Server 2008 (R2) and will demand upgrades to start happening...if you are the one certed on the topic, that makes you stand out and therefore more valuable.

Good luck, and don't get discouraged. The market is a bear right now and you've got guys with twice the experience, certs, and degrees competing for the same jobs because there arent many to go around.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Nature of the beast man. Love it since that is the business we are in.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Go into management and let someone else worry about keeping up with everything icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Yeah, just think...you guys could bill hours for an upgrade to exchange 2007 sp1 and in a few months bill them again for an upgrade to 2010 :)
  • Options
    Kasey1Kasey1 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A[FONT= ]hhhhhhhhhhhh,[/FONT]I just think so[FONT= ][/FONT]
    clear.gif
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I keep up with my Cisco certs even though my current job has almost literally zero to do with Cisco related skillsets. Walk your own path, don't follow the one your employer may be putting in front of you.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

Work hard with what you have around you and pick a cert to get a taste of the new flavours. Remember that technology evolves so having a really good grounding in 'older' things helps you understand the new stuff. Avoid the temptation to chase technology. That can drive you crazy.
  • Options
    manny355manny355 Member Posts: 134
    I will cosign with RobertKaucher and Starke

you shouldn't be overwhelmed but should be looking at the new technology like its an opportunity...especially if you are still (like most companies) using Server 03/XP. Take some time and learn Server 08/Windows 7 so when the times comes for your company to migrate to the new stuff you will have an opportunity to shine.

There was a good quote that I read somewhere which states

"don't be afraid of failure, everybody fails...but its what you do after you fail that matters. You can let failure break you or you can let failure mold you into a stronger person" now I might have taken a bit of liberty with the exact wording but the idea remains. The same can be said about pressure, you can let pressure break you or you can let pressure form you into a diamond.
  • Options
    Firemarshalbill.comFiremarshalbill.com Member Posts: 128
    Taking an IT certification path is like eating an elephant

One bite at a time

Try and relax and focus on only what is directly in front of you, complete it, adjust and continue icon_lol.gif
    Go EVERTON

evertonfc-crest.gif
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The only people I know that get overwhelmed due to certs are people I know that are IT trainers. That profession kind of sucks since you have to get certified in order to teach it and then they get on this cycle where they have to stay one ahead.
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    I keep up with my Cisco certs even though my current job has almost literally zero to do with Cisco related skillsets. Walk your own path, don't follow the one your employer may be putting in front of you.

Great advice!!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    The only people I know that get overwhelmed due to certs are people I know that are IT trainers. That profession kind of sucks since you have to get certified in order to teach it and then they get on this cycle where they have to stay one ahead.

I'm in this situation now. I came into a company where I had to take 2 tests to train on MCSA material when I was an MCSE in 2k3 already. I took XP as my client side, they wanted Vista. Also, they taught ISA 2004 so I had to pass that test as well. After catching up with what I needed to just teach a few classes that were ending, I then had to get my MCITP:SA. Which was only two tests (649/646), but its hectic. They just sent us some literature on Windows 7. It never ends haha. Oh well, at least it forces you to stay up on the material.

To the OP:

Take some deep breaths! I know how you feel though. Just pick out what you'd like to do and focus on that. Virtualization is your friend.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."