Options

Basic Vista question

I have to buy a laptop -- I want to put Vista on it.

What flavor of Vista would you recommend for usability, plus chasing a Vista certification or two?

Thanks!

Obdurate

Comments

• Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    Obdurate wrote: »
    I have to buy a laptop -- I want to put Vista on it.

What flavor of Vista would you recommend for usability, plus chasing a Vista certification or two?

Thanks!

Obdurate

If you are going with Vista, and depending on the specs of the notebook - I would go for Vista Business or Ultimate. I would recommend as much memory as possible to either of those.
  • Options
    bgrablinbgrablin Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Forget Vista, if you buy a laptop make sure it comes with the Windows 7 Free upgrade coupon. I'm using the Beta Windows 7 64-bit with 6gb of memory and it is MUCH better than vista.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton

My Site | Face
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you are going with Vista, and depending on the specs of the notebook - I would go for Vista Business or Ultimate. I would recommend as much memory as possible to either of those.

Get one that has a free upgrade to Win7 since it is so close to the release date.
  • Options
    TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    I agree with getting Windows 7, Vista is old news now. I'd look at getting Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate.
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    I was under the impression that Obdurate wanted Vista installed in order to prepare for the certification.

I've been using the RC2 of Windows 7, and I might actually look into a new notebook myself.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,029 Admin
    I'm upgrading all of my Vista laptops to Windows 7. I've pre-purchased Windows 7 for several desktops and will have it on all new desktops that I buy too. I really like Windows 7. It's much easier to use than Vista and the installation is a dream compared to that of XP.
  • Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    If you are going to buy a Windows Vista copy for certifications I recommend that you buy the Ultimate version of Windows Vista since it has all of the features.
  • Options
    t3ch_gurut3ch_guru Member Posts: 166
    Yeah definitely go with Windows 7. If you want to learn vista just get a VM running Windows Vista Ultimate.
    Knowledge is Power.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    JDMurray wrote: »
    It's much easier to use than Vista and the installation is a dream compared to that of XP.

confused.pngicon_scratch.gif
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    t3ch_guru wrote: »
    Yeah definitely go with Windows 7. If you want to learn vista just get a VM running Windows Vista Ultimate.

x2. Download VPC or something similar and throw Vista on that.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    deyin.chendeyin.chen Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I recommand you try windows 7 out. As we know, Vista is really slow, with windows7, you can experience the XP speed and Vista theme.
    David Chen
    NetBrain Technologies, Inc.
    NetBrain Workstation-Instant dynamic network diagramming via map
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    deyin.chen wrote: »
    As we know, Vista is really slow, with windows7, you can experience the XP speed and Vista theme.

I'll agree with the majority and be sure that whatever you purchase includes the Windows 7 upgrade voucher. But the Vista being slow is non-sense, I like a lot of the improvements in Windows 7 and run it exclusively on all of my machines but I can't say that my Vista experience was terribly slow post SP1.

If you're going to make a purchase prior to Windows 7 shipping with the hardware, I would look for Vista Business (voucher will upgrade to Windows 7 Professional) or Vista Ultimate (voucher upgrades to Windows 7 Ultimate).
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,029 Admin
    But the Vista being slow is non-sense,
    I agree. I've never had performance problems with Vista running on modern hardware. People who have insisted on installing Vista on machines over three years old have experienced such problems, but I would expect that from a newer, beefier MS OS. I don't know if W7 is any more tolerant with older hardware, but as it's 80% Vista, I would expect not.
  • Options
    shadown7shadown7 Member Posts: 529
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I agree. I've never had performance problems with Vista running on modern hardware. People who have insisted on installing Vista on machines over three years old have experienced such problems, but I would expect that from a newer, beefier MS OS. I don't know if W7 is any more tolerant with older hardware, but as it's 80% Vista, I would expect not.

I agree 100%... I've never had any major issues with Vista.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro on a Dell Latitude D610 with 512MB of RAM and it works just fine. That laptop is 4 years old.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree, with modern hardware and a reasonable amount of RAM Vista runs fine. The original systems that came with Vista installed were pretty rediculous. 1GB of RAM on Vista makes the thing run horribly.