Options

How hard is the Security+ compared to the Network+?

abefromanabefroman Banned Posts: 278
How hard is the Security+ compared to the Network+?

TIA

Comments

• Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I considered it harder than the other Comptia test due to a higher passing score, and trying to understand how Kerberos and SSL work. If network plus was a 3 I would say Security+ was about a 5. Just remember mileage may very on this :)
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    wastedtime wrote: »
    I considered it harder than the other Comptia test due to a higher passing score, and trying to understand how Kerberos and SSL work. If network plus was a 3 I would say Security+ was about a 5. Just remember mileage may very on this :)

I agree. I am studying for the Security+ right now. You need to have a good understanding of the networking before you take the Security+.
  • Options
    msbachmanmsbachman Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree. I am studying for the Security+ right now. You need to have a good understanding of the networking before you take the Security+.

I agree slightly but I abhorred the 1 Cisco class I took (probably just due to the instructor), didn't learn a thing, passed it with a C, and managed to get up to snuff in networking pertinent to the Sec+ in about six weeks.

That said, I'd have to think of both exams as separate but equal in terms of difficulty, I have always had an eye for loss prevention and security related fields but that's just me, and so I might have a different perspective of the difficulty of Sec+ as related to Net+ than others. My buddy is totally the opposite, he loves networking, and so I bet that he would see learning the requisite info for the Net+ as easier than I would.

Plus, I wouldn't even see exams in terms of difficulty, I would simply see them in terms of the cost vs. benefits for the field you plan to go into. If a cert is worthless, but easy, don't do it! Likewise, if a cert is hard but worthwhile, do it!

Good luck in whatever you choose regarding these two certs.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    It really all depends on a persons aptitude for a subject or experience working with that subject. I felt the Network+ was an easier exam by far, but it is impossible for me to not be biased about it. I had a 4 semester Cisco course in High school, so many of the Network+ objectives were simple review for me when I finally did take it 6 years later.