Options

Linux Commands

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm very very very new to Linux, but I would like to learn linux in all ways. I have played with the GUI a bit. But zero command line. What's the best and easiest way to learn linux commands?
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• Options
    janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    The best way to learn Linux commands is to start using them. There are many sites on the Internet with command line instructions. Just run a Google search for linux command, or try linux command primer. That should bring up some good intro sites.

Also, older books on linux will give you the command line instructions as well as newer ones.

Good luck!
    "It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki
  • Options
    fleckfleck Banned Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The best way is to get a Linux bible. When I was 16 I was bestowed a Linux bible with a Slackware 98 CD and it was all over from then on. I mastered Linux pretty quick, and it was fun because I could see something besides DOS/Windows take control of my machine, and I had more say in what went on. It sucked, because Linux hardly supported any hardware back then and pretty much everything required hand tweaking, but it was still fun.
  • Options
    varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    kimanyd wrote: »
    Excellent recomendation. I have one as well, one of the best books written on Linux matters. In addition, pass by The Linux Documentation Project site (tldp.org) and download the two guides on shell scripting (beginers and advanced) and see what can you make out of them.
    Try (whenever you feel confident) to substitute your GUI actions with commands and use commands instead of graphical clients for all actions that you commonly do on your linux box as a regular user.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The best way is to pick up a book, like the one recommended here, and then start using it every day as your primary desktop. You can dual boot with Windows if you need to.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    rsutton wrote: »
    The best way is to pick up a book, like the one recommended here, and then start using it every day as your primary desktop. You can dual boot with Windows if you need to.

I'd say use Windows on a VM if you need to. Books, online resources, whatever you can get... But get your hands dirty and use it. That's the only way.