Options

Study Guide Recommendations for 2003 MCSE

PSUalumPSUalum Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I'm a newbie to this forum. Was wondering what you all recommend for study guides for sitting 70-290 exam. There does not seem to be a consensus one way or the other with those out there. Have heard a lot of good and bad on Sybex, Syngress, ExamCram and Microsoft Press. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm on a track to get my MCSE over the next 12 months for my new job. My plan of attack is as follows: 70-290, 291, 293, 294, 297 and, finally, 270. My initial plan was to tackle 270 first, but my manager has indicated its probably going to be one of the more brutal exams, so I'm opting for it last. On the upside, I already have CompTIA Sec+, so I only need to sit six exams.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Cheers!

Comments

• Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    PSUalum wrote:
    Hi,

I'm a newbie to this forum. Was wondering what you all recommend for study guides for sitting 70-290 exam. There does not seem to be a consensus one way or the other with those out there. Have heard a lot of good and bad on Sybex, Syngress, ExamCram and Microsoft Press. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm on a track to get my MCSE over the next 12 months for my new job. My plan of attack is as follows: 70-290, 291, 293, 294, 297 and, finally, 270. My initial plan was to tackle 270 first, but my manager has indicated its probably going to be one of the more brutal exams, so I'm opting for it last. On the upside, I already have CompTIA Sec+, so I only need to sit six exams.

Thanks again for your feedback!

Cheers!

First I would do 70-270 - I took and passed it, I felt t was not very difficult- I was just annoyed by how much useless crap was in the questions..Then go in the order you have listed. For good books, if you have real world experience there is no sense reading and re-learning information you already know. Also, I'm guessing your a college grad like myself, really hate to relearn that classroom book..If this is the case I would buy Exam Cram2, thats what I use. I use the prep logic test in the back & what I don't score good on, I study. So Exam Cram2 if your in the field, & some thick book if your not.
  • Options
    lazyartlazyart Member Posts: 483
    I didnt find 270 to be brutal... although when I submitted my answers I wasnt sure how well I had done but 810 was plenty above the necessary 700.

In the end no matter what book you choose, be sure to pick a second study source.
    I'm not a complete idiot... some parts are missing.
  • Options
    skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    lazyart wrote:
    I didnt find 270 to be brutal... although when I submitted my answers I wasnt sure how well I had done but 810 was plenty above the necessary 700.

In the end no matter what book you choose, be sure to pick a second study source.

I'm having similar results studying for the 270. I *think* I know what I'm doing, but sometimes the way I would do things is not the MS way (which is sometimes a good thing, sometimes not...) so I'm going through a horde more study material.

Now that I finally have some older machines on a 'domain' together I can run through a lot of the active directory exercises.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • Options
    big boibig boi Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i would disagree with your idea to take that exam last. once you've trudged through 6 tests you are going to be a little burnt out on studying and testing. this is the worst time to take the hardest exam.
  • Options
    woodwormwoodworm Member Posts: 153
    I have only taken the 270 exam, (290 on Monday!) and I would be delighted if that one was the hardest!!!!

The material for the 290 has been much more difficult to learn/remember and I am sure the Directory Services exams will be harder still.

I have used the Sybex book (poor) and the Microsoft Readiness Kit (much better) - but I haven't passed yet, so maybe I should be reading the Sybex book more!!!!

Technet is one of the best resources if you're not sure on something.
  • Options
    garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    70-290 is not hard, its a test basicaly about a Suped up XP professional OS. The 70-291 is something to concern yourself with & all the ones after that on your way to MCSE.