Options

AIX on Fusion?

eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
Has anyone here installed and operated any recent version of AIX under Fusion, or under any virtualization product running on an Intel-based system?

I haven't done an exhaustive search yet, but the little searching that I've done has turned next to nothing.

I own a license(s) for AIX 6.1, so that's not an issue here.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

MS

Comments

• Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    eMeS wrote: »
    Has anyone here installed and operated any recent version of AIX under Fusion, or under any virtualization product running on an Intel-based system?

I haven't done an exhaustive search yet, but the little searching that I've done has turned next to nothing.

Thanks,

MS

I really cant imagine there would be a problem with it since it's Unix based. I've only worked on AIX a few times, but I assume it will work.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Wow, AIX! I haven't thought of AIX in over a decade. AIX 6.1 has a distro for Intel processors? I though it was only for the IBM PowerPC. There's the possibility of running AIX on an Intel machine using a PowerPC emulator.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I really cant imagine there would be a problem with it since it's Unix based.
    Eh?

What JDMurray said though. I thought AIX was PowerPC only for quite awhile now. I remember our IBM rep going on about Itanium at one point but I think that port died since nobody has mentioned it since.
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    yep after a little google search they are correct. No Intel support in later versions of AIX.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    Eh?

What JDMurray said though. I thought AIX was PowerPC only for quite awhile now. I remember our IBM rep going on about Itanium at one point but I think that port died since nobody has mentioned it since.

Exactly, and that's the crux of what I'm asking. Is there any type of emulator that will mimic the PowerPC that any one knows of that would allow me to run a virtual AIX instance using any virtualization product that I can run on Windows or OS X?

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks,

MS
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Exactly, and that's the crux of what I'm asking. Is there any type of emulator that will mimic the PowerPC that any one knows of that would allow me to run a virtual AIX instance using any virtualization product that I can run on Windows or OS X?
    I don't believe there is any PowerPC emulator that can run AIX. The "best" bet would be PearPC which can run OS X on a x86 machine but the devices it emulates aren't supported by AIX so no go there.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    I don't believe there is any PowerPC emulator that can run AIX. The "best" bet would be PearPC which can run OS X on a x86 machine but the devices it emulates aren't supported by AIX so no go there.

Looks like this is a no-go at the moment...it's listed as something that PearPC might do in the future. Looks like IBM only wants AIX running on their hardware at the moment, which is weird because I can run just about any mainframe OS on Intel pcs.

Thanks all of the replies, looks like to do what I want to do I will just use Linux on my laptop...the differences aren't that significant from a standpoint of the piece of IBM software that I'm doing some work with at the moment.

MS
  • Options
    sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    you can get some decent priced ibm gear off ebay like the 7044-170 (for 5.3 and under). they do have at times a power4+ based workstation that will run 6.1 and the cost should be like 500-800$ us. there is a few 6c4 models which are power4+ and will run 6.1 and the cost was 1000$ us: IBM RS6000 pSeries 7028-6C4 P630 1.45GHz 4GB 2x36GB #02 - eBay (item 230377138660 end time Sep-19-09 13:41:45 PDT)
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • Options
    sidsanders wrote: »
    you can get some decent priced ibm gear off ebay like the 7044-170 (for 5.3 and under). they do have at times a power4+ based workstation that will run 6.1 and the cost should be like 500-800$ us. there is a few 6c4 models which are power4+ and will run 6.1 and the cost was 1000$ us: IBM RS6000 pSeries 7028-6C4 P630 1.45GHz 4GB 2x36GB #02 - eBay (item 230377138660 end time Sep-19-09 13:41:45 PDT)

Thanks, but I actually have a piece of hardware capable of running AIX. What I was trying to accomplish was a simple method of having an AIX image on my laptop to use while traveling.

I can still get to my server remotely, but that's not my preference....

MS
  • Options
    sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sorry about that... what powerpc hw do you have if i may ask?
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I really love to get a chance to work with AIX...I was looking for the same thing...looks like we need an opportunity at work to do so...
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    sidsanders wrote: »
    sorry about that... what powerpc hw do you have if i may ask?

Sorry somehow I missed this question...at the moment I have an older p4 and a newer p5 510....

At the moment it's a bit irrelevant, because my focus is on a product called WebSphere Transformation Extender, which my customer is not using on AIX...it basically converts files between various formats....

MS
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

Thanks,

MS

I installed AIX 2.2.1 on an IBM 6150 back in 1998 so Im afraid that's not very current ;) 25 5.25 floppy disks. Ah the nostalgia..
  • Options
    Turgon wrote: »
    25 5.25 floppy disks. Ah the nostalgia..
    That sounds like how I use to install SCO UNIX back in 1991. ;)
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    That sounds like how I use to install SCO UNIX back in 1991. ;)

I had forgotten exactly how painful OS installs used to be prior to the "CD".

I seem to remember Windows 3.1 taking 7 or 8 3.5" disks, and OS/2 Warp requiring some insane number of disks compared to that.

As I remember, the first OS that I really installed from a CD was Linux. It was possible to download it via FTP around 95, but we didn't have high speed back then (in fact, I seem to remember having maybe a 14400 baud modem at the time...). There used to be a store in Dallas in the early 90's that sold various computer CDs. One of their biggest hits I would say around '95 was a CD that had everything required to install Linux....

Here's one for you guys, does anyone remember the 8" floppy disk? Quite a bit of equipment was around well into the 90's that used those. I seem to remember alot of what at the time were called "Front End Processors" using them. Also, while in undergrad I took a class where I basically had to run labs and experiments....this was ~1990, and the main computer that ran the whole thing was a DEC PDP-11...I seem to remember that thing having a big 8" floppy disk attached to it as well...

MS
  • Options
    Here's one for you guys, does anyone remember the 8" floppy disk? Quite a bit of equipment was around well into the 90's that used those. I seem to remember alot of what at the time were called "Front End Processors" using them. Also, while in undergrad I took a class where I basically had to run labs and experiments....this was ~1990, and the main computer that ran the whole thing was a DEC PDP-11...I seem to remember that thing having a big 8" floppy disk attached to it as well...
    I have several boxes of 8" Maxell floppies in my garage somewhere. Most are blank, but one has CP/M-80 on it with a few programs. I never owned an 8" drive myself, but it would be a hoot to use one now (sort of like having a boom box with an 8-track tape player). The only PDP-11 computer I've ever used with 8" floppy drives was the PDP -11/23 desktop. The PDP-11/44, -11/45, and -11/70's I've used only had magtape drives.