Options

Which Jobs to take?

Well.. as some of you know.. I recently obtained my MCSE/MCSE: Security.

woohoo.

I'm currently doing PART-TIME desktop support for a company that is downsizing.. I am only working 2 days a week, and sometimes, thats not even enough work. The company is eventually going to shut down and relocate, they already let go over half their employees. Most of my work is retrieving equipment and re-imaging them.

Not alot of experience.

I also dont get to play with any sort of permissions other than adding workstations to the domains. So no Active Directory or Admin tools.

--

I have not updated my resume yet.. but I have the feeling that when I do.. the floodgates are going to open up.

I already have a job offer of part-time tier-1 helpdesk. with a very very old resume... I told him I would send him an updated resume, and that I was interested in a tier-2 or higher position, if not, tier-1 is fine, to work around my other job's schedule. Only pays 10-12/hr.

But what am I really looking for? I really want a Tier-2 Desktop Support job that allows me to do more responsibilities of a System Admin/Engineer. Play with Active Directory some more, some GPO's responsibility etc.

I would love to just start as a junior level/entry level system admin, but givin my little experience.. I'm sure that'll be impossible.

but wait.. theres more.

Everyone one here knows I'm trying to get a security clearance.. well..
I finally got an email back from Northrop Grumman. Scheduling an interview session for Access Control Officers (security guards)..
it pays 14/hr.. full time.. and it's offers security clearance!

so I mean if I take this job.. then I can goto school at night.. get my CCNA, maybe MCITP.. and then after a year of working with Northrop Grumman, apply for an IT job.. or maybe after a few months of working for NG, still apply for a IT job...

what should I do?

Look for a entry level sys admin job? do the helpdesk/desktop support for lil bit longer? or go for it at Northrop Grumman to get my foot in the door?

just some insight would be helpful. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    bgrablinbgrablin Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It sounds like you have a solid plan. Security clearances are not easy to come by and are relatively expensive for a company to obtain for one of their employees. Some companies may require that you stay with them for a specific period of time before you can relocate to another job, albeit within Northrop Grumman or another company. Look into that.

As for most Govt Contractors (Northrop, Lockheed, SAIC, QinetiQ, LSI, etc.) once you're in the company it is easy to move laterally. The hardest part is getting in the door. They will do what they can to keep you happy in the company even if that means a career change to IT, or another field.

Good luck. Job hunting isn't easy, I'm in the middle of it.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton

My Site | Face
  • Options
    cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    Repeat after me....

"In the greater DC\Baltimore area it's all about the security clearance"

Get the clearance, keep going to school and in a year, start looking for an IT position within NG.

Good luck!
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • Options
    L0gicB0mb508L0gicB0mb508 Member Posts: 538
    cbigbrick wrote: »
    Repeat after me....

"In the greater DC\Baltimore area it's all about the security clearance"

Get the clearance, keep going to school and in a year, start looking for an IT position within NG.

Good luck!

100% true. If you have a clearance and in that general area you are as good as gold. Once you get the secret they will definitely be more likely to move you to a TS if the job requires it. The secret is a great starting point. As he said get the clearance and some more education and then hit the pavement.
    I bring nothing useful to the table...
  • Options
    KoolTrixKoolTrix Banned Posts: 130
    Thanks guys. I'll do that then.

maybe look for some volunteer work to do to keep my IT skills up.

thanks for the support.
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would go with NG. You already have a net+, S+ and MCSE:S which puts in you a sweet spot for a entry level computer sec job after getting SC. just follow the DOD guide lines for what to obtain. I believe thats what they go by. good luck.
  • Options
    the only way I can get a IT job at NG.. is if i already have a Secret/TS clearance which I don't.

so I figured if I apply for a Security Guard Job.. get my months-year in.. get my Clearance.. then try to switch within the company..

get my career to take off. Hope to have my CCENT/CCDA/CCNA/CCNA:Sec by August 2010.

I was going to try and get my SSCP over the winter.. but doubt I meet the requirements. we'll see.

for DoD 8570.1 Compliance

Tech Level 1 = CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, SSCP
    Tech Level 2 = GSEC, CompTIA Security+, SSNP,
    SSCP
    Tech Level 3 = CISSP, SCNA, CISA, GSE
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I'd say take what feels right and go from there. Despite your speed with the certs, your career-path may take longer. Sometimes, (like in my case,) you get really lucky and someone offers you a tier-2/tier-3 position practically as soon as you're out there looking. In others, (most cases,) you have to start small and work your way up over the course of a few years.

If doing something helps you get the security clearance you need, that might be a good thing to go for. You can always do other IT-related things in the meantime, continue working on your certs as you said, and keep learning. If I were you, I'd probably take the job that offered the clearance and stick with that for about a year, then move on and find something like a full-time helpdesk position, or even a senior-level helpdesk position, (those are the ones that generally fast-track you to something with more responsibility, like project work or systems administration). If you get lucky and find a sysadmin job right off the bat, then more power to you and JUMP ON IT, but keep the steady-uphill-path in mind so that you get a realistic plan in place.

With your work-ethic and study-habits, though, I could see you doing some pretty hardcore, senior-level systems/network admin stuff, maybe even real nitty-gritty security work, inside of a 5 - 7 year period. And all things considered, most people don't get to that level in twice the time, so don't be discouraged if it takes longer than you expect. Good luck, regardless of which job you take! icon_thumright.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    I got updates...

well after I do the testing, and fill out some papers. There will be a 6-8 month waiting period for my clearance to go through, at which time I will not be employed.

So I have 6-8 months to grab another job, Helpdesk, Desktop Support, System Admin.. to gain some experience to throw on a resume.

After which, I will work at NG as a security guard for a year.. lol icon_rolleyes.gif

or just try and switch paths while within the company immediately after they give my the SC.. but not sure if they'll like that. Either way.. I'll do my time..

have SC and experience and Certs to put on a resume.. good plan.

I'll try and volunteer if I cant get the job I want. Really want to get my hands on System Admin roles.. GPO's.. Active Directory, oh boy.. the fun!

well.. wish me luck LOL icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Getting in the door is definitely the hardest part of it all. I have applied for hundreds of jobs with Lockheed Martin. I have a Public Trust that I was required to obtain for this position. Most job advertisements want you to already have the TSI for that type of position. The Secret, you can sometimes find a job that will allow you to be able to obtain one. I haven't seen very many. I would say wait for your clearance to come back. Do you know for sure that they are going to hire you if you get it? Until then, I'd get another job and get some experience. Your definitely in a GREAT area, since your in Baltimore, I mean you probably have a quick commute to most major areas. There are some golden opportunities down there around Baltimore/DC once you get in the door and get a clearance. I use to work in Alexandria with the United States Patent and Trademark Office, I just couldn't take the 4 hours of commuting every day. When I landed this job it was an answer to my prayers since it is only 15 minutes from home for the Department of Veteran Affairs. It is a contract position. So I've been trying to get into a position that is actually a federal position.