Dial-up Confusion

msbachmanmsbachman Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
Here's a quote from proprofs.com page on remote access :
RAS was eventually replaced by PPP, the most common dial-up networking protocol today. PPP, or point-to-point protocol, utilizes a direct connection from a client to WAN over TCP/IP. This is advantageous for dial-up networking services as most people today wish to be able to use the Internet, which of course requires TCP/IP networking. When you think dial-up access, think PPP.

Now, what does the term "dial-up networking" refer to? I'm confused as to where PPP is being used. I have seen in other places that dial-up refers to the use of modems, but that doesn't totally clear up the issue, as I have a DSL modem, so might that use PPP as well?

Comments

• bgrablinbgrablin Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    PPP is used over many types of physical networks including serial cable, phone line, trunk line, cellular telephone, specialized radio links, and fiber optic links such as SONET.

Most Internet service providers (ISPs) use PPP for customer dial-up access to the Internet. Two encapsulated forms of PPP, Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet (PPPoE) and Point-to-Point Protocol over ATM (PPPoA), are used by Internet Service Providers (ISPs) to connect Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) Internet service.

credit: wiki / Security+ by: Emmett Dulaney
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton

My Site | Face
  • DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Just to add a little to bgrablin's post....

Dial-up networking refers to using a modem and phone line on the client and a modem and phone line on the server. PPP is commonly used. Remote Access Servers can be dial-up servers (with banks of modems) or VPN servers.

A VPN server creates a virtual private network connection over a public network (usually the Intnernet). Clients connect to the Interneet (perhaps via a dial-up connection) and then tunnel through the Internet using a tunneling protocol like L2TP.

The CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead book has a good write up on Remote Acces, Dial-up RAS, and VPNs on pages 202 through 207.

Darril Gibson
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead
    ISBN 1439236364
    www.sy0-201.com
    Darril wrote: »

Dial-up networking refers to using a modem and phone line on the client and a modem and phone line on the server. PPP is commonly used. Remote Access Servers can be dial-up servers (with banks of modems) or VPN servers.

A VPN server creates a virtual private network connection over a public network (usually the Intnernet). Clients connect to the Interneet (perhaps via a dial-up connection) and then tunnel through the Internet using a tunneling protocol like L2TP.

The CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead book has a good write up on Remote Acces, Dial-up RAS, and VPNs on pages 202 through 207.

Darril Gibson
    ISBN 1439236364
    www.sy0-201.com

Can't go wrong with an author of a security+ book

Can I get a free "review" copy of your book? :D
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."

My Site | Face
    Bgrablin,

I wish I had enough copies that I could give away to everyone that views this forum and asked (which I fear is what would be requested if I said "sure" :D)

I will be trying to share any information I can on this forum though.

Darril Gibson
    www.sy0-201.com
  • BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Was looking for another study guide, so I ordered a copy.
    Bgrablin,

I wish I had enough copies that I could give away to everyone that views this forum and asked (which I fear is what would be requested if I said "sure" :D)

I will be trying to share any information I can on this forum though.

Darril Gibson
    www.sy0-201.com

I totally understand. It's business. We appreciate you spreading your knowledge here.

My Site | Face
    Thanks. I hope it's just what you need.

Darril Gibson
    www.sy0-201.com

Security+ Tip of the Day
    twitter.com/DarrilGibson

Bokeh wrote: »
    Was looking for another study guide, so I ordered a copy.
  • msbachmanmsbachman Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□

So wouldn't a DSL modem still be dial-up by your definition? My point is this: that's a modem and it communicates over the phone line as well.

I'm being extremely nit-picky here, I guess, but I'm trying to figure out all the emphasis on these "remote access" technologies that allow people to "dial-in" when 56k PCI card modems are becoming rare.
    There are a lot of older technologies that are commonly tested that has people scratching their heads. Trying to make sense of "why" an older technology is tested can drive you a little loopy. Sometimes, the goal is to show you the progression or evolution of the technology.

You're right that most remote access solutions today don't use dial-up, but instead use VPNs, but a VPN is still remote access. While you may see a single question asking about PPP (related to dial-up), you're more likely to see several questions about L2TP and L2TP/IPSec, and maybe PPTP. In other words, you may want to shift your focus from dial-up remote access to VPN remote access.

I'm unaware of any Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) modems used in dial-up remote access solutions. While, dial-up networking refers to using modems and phone lines to connect to the RAS server, it doesn't necessarily mean that every possible modem can and would be used for dial-up.

HTH

Darril Gibson
    www.sy0-201.com

Security+ Tip of the Day
    twitter.com/DarrilGibson
    msbachman wrote: »
    So wouldn't a DSL modem still be dial-up by your definition? My point is this: that's a modem and it communicates over the phone line as well.

I'm being extremely nit-picky here, I guess, but I'm trying to figure out all the emphasis on these "remote access" technologies that allow people to "dial-in" when 56k PCI card modems are becoming rare.
  • msbachmanmsbachman Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Alright, thanks for the help, guys. I'd have to say that your book looks enticing, Darril, but I'm not going to buy it for the sole reason that it's far too close to d-day to do so! Especially the price! 35$!
  • kimanydkimanyd Banned Posts: 103
    Dial-up is still used as an inexpensive/backup/redundant remote management technology. Successfully obtaining access that way might even get you around any security devices, such as firewalls as well.
    I don't control the price, but Amazon has just reduced it to $28.51.

Good luck on "d-day". Let us know how you do.

Darril Gibson
    www.sy0-201.com
    Security+ Tip of the Day
    twitter.com/DarrilGibson
    msbachman wrote: »
    Alright, thanks for the help, guys. I'd have to say that your book looks enticing, Darril, but I'm not going to buy it for the sole reason that it's far too close to d-day to do so! Especially the price! 35$!