Options

Hello - question about SY0-201

flatworldflatworld Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
I'll be attempting CCSP (cisco) within a few months, but also I have to take the CompTIA Security+ SY0-201 exam, a job requirement.

I am curious why various industries require CompTIA Security+ as a guiding baseline requirement, given the minimal studying required to pass it.

Also, for the SY0-201, does anyone know if the tests are randomly generated, ie: 100 randomized questions from a secret bank of 1000+ questions, etc?

I take it on September 28th, 2009 so wish me luck.
Next up: OSCP

Comments

• Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    I think it's desirable for a couple of reasons.

1) Just like you say, it's a baseline. It lets supervisors/managers/leaders know that people have been exposed to this baseline of material. And of course a lot of companies that want to do business with the government require it because the U.S. Department of Defense mandates it for many DoD employees, and the company has a better chance with contracts.

2) Security is a much more important issue than it was just 5 years ago. Some people know and recognize the importance. Others recognize the issues as they're studying. (Though there are still others thata don't quite understand even after being been bitten a few times.)

While it may take only minimal time for you to study and pass it, that's not the case with everyone. If you're pursuing CCSP, you have more knowledge than a lot of people. I've taught Security+ to over 200 students and I know there is a wide diversity of knowledge, even between people working in similar positions.

Last, you're right about the questions. There is a large bank (no one's telling how many questions are in the bank), and semi-random questions are generated. You should still expect a match in percentages - such as 15% (0r 15 questions) on cryptography.

HTH,

Darril Gibson
    www.sy0-201.com

Security+ Tip of the Day
    twitter.com/DarrilGibson
  • Options
    flatworldflatworld Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I shouldn't say minimal studying, bad wording....

I've just found that the level of detail the CCNA Security material goes into, and as well for the CCSP material goes into a much more granular detailed view of security in a logical networking sense, then what I have seen on the SY0-201 so far.

I'll admit there's material on the SY0-201 I have not seen in any Cisco book, and it is very relevant material.

I'm really enjoying learning about the non networking, and security material in the study materials for this test. The various study guides actually have alot of real world situations, and material that will be ever present in businesses. The business impact material, continuity of operations, and other "keep the business running" type of thinking questions are right in there with 4XX level senior level college classes.

---

Do comptia certs have to be renewed every 3 years? I have heard 'chatter' that they were lifetime like Oracle certifications?

There's high value in CompTIA certified people, I can verify this with google trends, and indeed.com trends/salary trends.

Darril wrote: »
    I think it's desirable for a couple of reasons.

1) Just like you say, it's a baseline. It lets supervisors/managers/leaders know that people have been exposed to this baseline of material. And of course a lot of companies that want to do business with the government require it because the U.S. Department of Defense mandates it for many DoD employees, and the company has a better chance with contracts.

2) Security is a much more important issue than it was just 5 years ago. Some people know and recognize the importance. Others recognize the issues as they're studying. (Though there are still others thata don't quite understand even after being been bitten a few times.)

While it may take only minimal time for you to study and pass it, that's not the case with everyone. If you're pursuing CCSP, you have more knowledge than a lot of people. I've taught Security+ to over 200 students and I know there is a wide diversity of knowledge, even between people working in similar positions.

Last, you're right about the questions. There is a large bank (no one's telling how many questions are in the bank), and semi-random questions are generated. You should still expect a match in percentages - such as 15% (0r 15 questions) on cryptography.

HTH,

Darril Gibson
    www.sy0-201.com

Security+ Tip of the Day
    twitter.com/DarrilGibson
    Next up: OSCP
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Short answer no. CompTIA certs don't need to renewed. Once you certified, you're certified for life. At least that's CompTIA's policy.

However, CompTIA has mentioned that some employers are asking employees to recertify. In other words, if you''re certified with SY0-101, an employer may want you to also recertify with SY0-201 (or take the bridge exam (BR0-001). This is sometimes misunderstood and repeated as though CompTIA requires recertification.

Again though, CompTIA's policy is that if you're certified, you're certified for life.

Darril Gibson
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead
    www.sy0-201.com
    Security+ Tip of day Tweets
    twitter.com/DarrilGibson

flatworld wrote: »
    I shouldn't say minimal studying, bad wording....
    Do comptia certs have to be renewed every 3 years? I have heard 'chatter' that they were lifetime like Oracle certifications?