Options

Proxy server error! HELP

kizzibilletkizzibillet Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
Let me says thanks to all who have read my threads and gave me solutions to my problems. All solutions have worked and given me ideas to solve other problems

I turned off a Proxy Server (Windows XP)
Friday and turned on Monday and the error that I have received was " cannot find logical drives" what would have caused that?

seeing that the machine was off and I turned it on the next morn.

What I need is the cause as I have to give a report. What could cause this and if yu have a solution please I need it how to repaire the Logical drive

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    So when the computer goes through POST this is the error you get? Or is Windows attempting to boot and you get this error? It sounds like some sort of hardware failure in the disk drive but without a better description of what is happening I could not say for sure.
  • Options
    kizzibilletkizzibillet Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Windows is attempting to boot and I thank for the quick response. Please also tell me the cause if the errors did came up during the POST. ( I was not present when error came up and I have to give a report as I was the last one that shut down the proxy)
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would download and burn Hitachi DFT to a CD and run it. Run the advanced test, not the quick. My first assumption would be a bad hard drive.

Support - Downloads and Utilities

EDIT:
    What I suspect is that the sectors that show Windows were the logical volume are have gone bad. You might want to try getting into recovery console and running chkdsk /r on the C-drive but you may not even be able to do that. In all likelyhood this failure occured while the computer was running, after it had booted last time. But because the information had already been loaded into memory it did not cause problems until the machine needed to access those secorts when you rebooted it.