Options

ITIL Intermediate Capability Stream: Planning, Protection and Optimization

eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
Today I successfully completed the ITIL Intermediate Capability Stream: Planning, Protection and Optimization exam. I scored a 95% on this exam.

This is the 4th and last of the "capability stream" exams that I was required to take, and the 8th of 9 overall ITIL Intermediate exams that I was required to take.

The exam was difficult, but not nearly as difficult as some of the other ITIL Intermediate exams I have taken over the last couple of months. This could be because this topic area is one of my favorite, and is likely the area where I have the most hands-on experience.

This exam covers topics such as Capacity Management, Availability Management, IT Service Continuity Management, and Information Security Management. Additionally, management of suppliers and creation and management of internal and external agreements is one of the topics that is often mentioned in this area.

Not too much new to say here. The exam was 8 multiple choice questions, with 1.5 hours allowed to take it. Each answer choice is worth a set number of points from 0-5. Basically the exercise in these exams often amounts to selecting the best of 3 correct answers.

This is the first ITIL intermediate exam that I finished in much less than the time allotted. I hit submit with more than 30 minutes remaining.

Also, initially I thought that my outlay for these 9 ITIL intermediate exams was going to be like this:

2 @ 112.50 = 2 Intermediate Exams at 1/2 price because I am an accredited trainer
7 @ 225.00 = 7 remaining at full price
Total = $1800

In reality, and I can't necessarily explain why, it has been more like the following:

2@ 112.50 = 2 Intermediate Exams at 1/2 price because I am an accredited trainer
7@ 125.00 = 7 Intermediate Exams at full price minus $100 discount. I do not know the reason for the $100 discount, but as the invoices have arrived, this is what is indicated.
Total = $1100

I have already made this money back, plus a healthy return, as we were able to schedule one of these intermediate classes for a client next month. This was very much worth it in my case because of the amount of ITIL work that we do, and that the intermediate classes are becoming very popular.

I encourage everyone to look at any career decisions that they make from this standpoint. What "investment" must I make and what return will I get and in what timeframe will that return be realized.

I have 1 more exam at the intermediate level to complete, and then I will have completed all 9 ITIL intermediate exams. I have no idea when I will schedule it, as I am booked mostly through the end of the year at this point. My final exam covers "Service Strategy", when tends to focus on thinking long-term and deciding which IT services to provide to which markets, etc...

MS

Comments

• Options
    vaibhavadvaibhavad Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,
    Heartiest Congrats on your success!!!!!!!!!

I m kinda new to ITIL. Can you please tell me regarding the exam structure plz.

As i understand ITIL foundation will have a single online exam to be cleared.

After that how should we decide on which of the two streams (capability/lifecycle) should we go ahead with ??

Also each stream has 4-5 modules. As i read your post, you have one module(SS) to be cleared.Are the online exams for each modules given separetely. Or we have to give all the 4-5 modules at one go??

Lastly, clearing ITIL will require considerable efforts and also cost. How worth is it in terms of opportunities that will open after clearing these exams?

Sorry if my questions sound silly ,but plz spare some time to advise

Thanks,
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    vaibhavad wrote: »
    Hi,
    Heartiest Congrats on your success!!!!!!!!!

I m kinda new to ITIL. Can you please tell me regarding the exam structure plz.

As i understand ITIL foundation will have a single online exam to be cleared.

Foundation exams are available either online or paper-based at the end of a class.
    After that how should we decide on which of the two streams (capability/lifecycle) should we go ahead with ??

The "Capability Stream" is intended for hands-on practitioners, whereas the "Lifecycle Stream" is intended to be management-oriented. The path you choose, or whether you do both paths, is up to you. You can also mix and match courses from each path.
    Also each stream has 4-5 modules. As i read your post, you have one module(SS) to be cleared.Are the online exams for each modules given separetely. Or we have to give all the 4-5 modules at one go??

Each exam is separate. Additionally, the only reason I am able to take these exams online is because I am an accredited trainer.

Everyone is required to take the underlying class for each course before taking the exam. With only a couple of exceptions, the majority of these classes are in person with the exams being offered on paper at the end of the class.
    Lastly, clearing ITIL will require considerable efforts and also cost. How worth is it in terms of opportunities that will open after clearing these exams?

I think like anything else this is really only a question that you can answer for yourself. For me personally, I have 20+ years experience in IT, with a significant amount of that being in ITIL, IT service management, and project management; add to this with a top-tier education, a bunch of certifications and a strong personal network. There's never a shortage of work for me, and in fact I regularly turn down work. Also, I don't only do ITIL-work.

It's never only one factor, certification or otherwise, that contributes to success.

Best wishes,

MS
  • Options
    freebofreebo Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm about to start studding for this course. Could you recommended some good reading and study ideas for this exam !

Thank you and congrats !
  • Options
    freebofreebo Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Again,

Could anyone assist please ?

Thank you