Options

KVM over IP advice.

msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
Just looking for some input from those with experience with IP KVM's.

I'm trying to make the push for a KVM over IP solution since we have a handful of servers that do not have iLO connectivity and/or the advanced iLO license. I've done some searching and read a handful of reviews, Avocent seems to be pretty decent from what I've read but I was looking for some thoughts from my peers at TE :D

This is the model I am considering:
Avocent AutoView 3200 Digital KVM over IP and other KVM Switches at CDW.com

Comments

• Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    At work we use Avocent (cyclades), HP, and Raritan (Dominion I and Dominion II). Of the choices I would go with either Avocent or Raritan. Ive had more hands on with the raritan models, so I might be a little biased. However, we just implemented a huge project that relies on the Avocent cyclades, and they seem to be working quite well.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    we have used raritan gear for near 10 years. raritans kvm over ip has saved us a number of times.
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    We have a Dell 2161DS hooked up to 16 servers and it SUCKS. It's just fine at the console but the IP part is bad. The mouse never lines up, the video is choppy and 'encoded' looking. I would rather drive 20 miles to work than use the KVM.

Edit: forgot to mention it is a dell-branded avocent KVM.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    We have a Dell 2161DS hooked up to 16 servers and it SUCKS. It's just fine at the console but the IP part is bad. The mouse never lines up, the video is choppy and 'encoded' looking. I would rather drive 20 miles to work than use the KVM.

Edit: forgot to mention it is a dell-branded avocent KVM.

I'm leaning more towards Raritan now after hearing more stories like that from Avocent gear. I've also heard that the virtual media feature of the Raritan gear works better than Avocent. Since I hadn't used KVM over IP prior, I wasn't aware of the virtual media option, so I think we're going to head that direction.
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    At my last job we had a Raritan Dominion (forget the exact model) that would occasionally go nuts when you move the mouse. It would right click anywhere that you move the thing. We've had a Belkin 8 port regular KVM here that would do the same thing, and I'd have to do a drum solo on the control & alt keys to get it back to normal. I dunno if that would've worked on the Raritan.
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm leaning more towards Raritan now after hearing more stories like that from Avocent gear. I've also heard that the virtual media feature of the Raritan gear works better than Avocent. Since I hadn't used KVM over IP prior, I wasn't aware of the virtual media option, so I think we're going to head that direction.

I tend to agree about the virtual media feature being better on the Raritans. Much better in my opinion.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Dominion KX II-864 - Dominion KX II - IP KVM Switch - KVM-over-IP - Products - Raritan

and

Dominion KX II-832 - Dominion KX II - IP KVM Switch - KVM-over-IP - Products - Raritan

look pretty good. Anyone used these? Anyone able to compare them to Dell's DRAC cards?

We're getting DRAC cards on all of our dell systems nowadays, so these would be nice to have until we completely replace all our old systems.