ADSL and 6 PC Question Plz >>

svansvan Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am in the process of setting up a Domain.

One Win2003 SB Server (DC)

6 XP Boxes.

One 3Com switch

and One D-link 4 Port Modem/router.

Would a 512 ADSL connection be fine for 6 PC to share?

and what would be the best way to get them all out on the net?

Maybe Server > Switch> 6 PC and Router plugged into the switch?

Thanks for any assitance.

NOTE:- Modem/Router does DHCP, but i'll allow the server to do this instead.

Comments

• DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    Well, it all depends on how much activity those boxes are going to be doing that require internet access. My home domain currently consist of 5 boxes plus the server shared on a cable modem connection, and I never really get slowdowns at all except when I'm doing bittorrent or newsgroup downloads on multiple boxes. My server is multihomed with one NIC going to the cable modem and the other going to the switch which my WAP and wired PC's are connected to. I mean, no matter how you share it, you've only got one pipe, and the throughput for each PC is going to be affected by how what each PC is doing at any given time. So yeah, for stuff like general webbrowsing, it'd be fine, but your download speeds are going to be ugly no matter what.

For your setup, it all depends on where the boxes are located. If they're all in the same room, plug the 3com into the router, and then you can fill the server and pc's into whatever ports you want. Personally, I'd plug the PC's into the 3com and the server directly into the DLink, but that's just me :) I know some folks who have their cable/dsl connection coming into the basement, and so put their router and server down there, then run cable to whatever room the PC's are in in the house, have that cable run attach to a switch in the room, and then have the pc's attach to the switch as well. Then some folks have pc's in different rooms in the house, drop cable/dsl modem in a central location, drop the router/switch there, and then run cable to each room. It all depends on your circumstances and what your goals for the design of the network is.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hell I have a client that does it on a 128 ADSL line. Works fine for web browsing and they really don't download too much.

My home setup is on a 256 line and the router is connected directly to the switch. Have the occasional slowdown, but since there is usually not more than 2 downloads at any time it does the trick.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • svansvan Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all this really great info..

Can i just ask, what the advantage is if any by plugging the server staight into the router?

many thanks
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    svan wrote:
    Thanks for all this really great info..

Can i just ask, what the advantage is if any by plugging the server staight into the router?

many thanks

well, that is a bastian host - we can control the traffic centrally.
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.