Options

LCD / Plasma TV's

MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
Mornin' all and happy friday!

So, my girlfriend and I still haven't got ourselves a decent TV yet. We're both gamers (PC) and we've been gamers of xbox360, playstation and all that other good stuff.

We're looking at getting a 42" tv and I'm a little bit confused.

I found one with 2,000,000:1 DYNAMIC contrast ratio. and it has 40,000:1 NATIVE contrast ratio.

Can anyone give me a run down of what the difference is between the two and what is a good buy.

Thanks in advance!
2017 Certification Goals:
CCNP R/S

Comments

• Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    cant answer your question off the top of my head, but i find this site to be great help :-
    AVForums.com Home

worth a look around icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Amazon.com: Samsung LN40B630 40-Inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV with Red Touch of Color: Electronics

There you go. My wife bought me a 46" samsung 650 model from amazon for christmas last year and i love it. if you want a decent price for a great tv amazon and samsung are to good combo's
  • Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    Amazon.com: Samsung LN40B630 40-Inch 1080p 120Hz LCD HDTV with Red Touch of Color: Electronics

There you go. My wife bought me a 46" samsung 650 model from amazon for christmas last year and i love it. if you want a decent price for a great tv amazon and samsung are to good combo's

Agree, I have 3 HDTVs, all 1080p 1 of them is a DLP and the other 2 are LCDs, love them all. All Samsung.
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I found one with 2,000,000:1 DYNAMIC contrast ratio. and it has 40,000:1 NATIVE contrast ratio.

IMO this is one of the many irrelevant measurements that they beat you down with in terms of electronic equipment. I probably can't tell a difference between the two, but there is likely some tv-ophile out there who claims he can.

I have a Samsung LCD that is 52" I think; it was purchased in 2007. I seem to remember it having a 20000:1 contrast ratio. All I really care about is how the picture looks and whether I was sitting the correct distance from the tv. I've never once thought, "if my contrast ratio was only 40000:1 or 1,000,000,000,000:1, this would be so much better!"

MS
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    From my understanding, contrast ratio is essentially the light difference between white and black, which does make a large difference in the viewing of a screen. However, because manufactures don't all measure contrast ratio in the same manner the metric is not particularly useful when comparing different brands. The dynamic contrast ratio means that the manufacturer changed the settings of the TV between the light and the dark reading, making it a completely useless measurement.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not an expert so that may not be 100% accurate, but it's what I've heard.
  • Options
    4XJunkie4XJunkie Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    kalebksp wrote: »
    From my understanding, contrast ratio is essentially the light difference between white and black, which does make a large difference in the viewing of a screen. However, because manufactures don't all measure contrast ratio in the same manner the metric is not particularly useful when comparing different brands. The dynamic contrast ratio means that the manufacturer changed the settings of the TV between the light and the dark reading, making it a completely useless measurement.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not an expert so that may not be 100% accurate, but it's what I've heard.

You are correct when saying that different manufacturers use different measurements for contrast ratio. One manufacturers ratio that is 20,000:1 may be equal to another's 5,000:1. Your best bet would be go to a store and look at each TV. Find the one you like and has the best pic, and then go online to buy it cheaper.
  • Options
    kimanydkimanyd Banned Posts: 103
    Dynamic contrast ratios are really deceiving. The problem is that the display lightens or darkens entirely to compensate for the overall image, so you'll never have that entire range available at once. It's basically saying that between off and on full-power on a white screen, is a difference of 200,000:1.

Contrast ratio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From what I've seen, a 10,000:1 contrast ratio or better is pretty damn good.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    dont forget to look at consumer reports. they have excellent reviews and comparisons.

I will say this. You want 1080p. You want 120mhz or more, assuming you get LCD.

If you take nothing else away, please remember this:
    DONT GO BY WHAT YOU SEE IN THE STORE. Stores deliberatly alter the brightness and contrast to sell based on their inventory.

Buy based on reviews and price.

In addition, make sure you read about the sound quality. Its one of the biggest differences. You may not notice the difference between a comprable Vizio and Samsung, but you will notice the difference in audio...given you arent going to use your own sound system.

I bought a 42' plasma panasonic about 2 years ago and love it...FWIW.