Options

How do i point a mx record at my new exchange server

fommyfommy Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
hello peeps,

I have never had to do this before, so I currently have email going through my exchange2k3 but have now setup a exchange 2k7 edge server on w2k8 standard.

the question is this......

How do i or maybe someone else change or alter the mx record to point at my new email server?

I dont have a scubby do

Any ideas folks?

Cheers

Matt.
MCITP Enterprise Admin then CCNA - as I failed CCNA twice now. boohoo

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    If your external address changed at that point you would need to change the MX record, but if that is still the same address you are ok. What you would need to change is your router to redirect the traffic from your old server's internal ip to your new server's internal ip.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    leefdaddyleefdaddy Member Posts: 405
    undomiel wrote: »
    If your external address changed at that point you would need to change the MX record, but if that is still the same address you are ok. What you would need to change is your router to redirect the traffic from your old server's internal ip to your new server's internal ip.

This... more then likely you need to change port forwarding for port 25 or whatever port you use :)
    Dustin Leefers
  • Options
    JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    (same as parent folder) Mail Exchanger (MX) B]20[/B oldmailserver.company1.xxx.
    (same as parent folder) Mail Exchanger (MX) [10] newmailserver.company1.xxx.
    (same as parent folder) Mail Exchanger (MX) [30] mailque.company1.xxx.
    Once everything works fine just remove the old mail server from the dns
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    fommy wrote: »
    hello peeps,

I have never had to do this before, so I currently have email going through my exchange2k3 but have now setup a exchange 2k7 edge server on w2k8 standard.

the question is this......

How do i or maybe someone else change or alter the mx record to point at my new email server?

I dont have a scubby do

Any ideas folks?

Cheers

Matt.

Previous posts cover things really. If your new mail server is using the same FQDN and IP as the old one it should just work assuming the old mail server is offline. Depends how you have done things though and how things hang together. I imagine you have built the mailserver and it has a different IP address to the old one? In which case you will need to update the MX record in DNS to the new IP address. If you have a mailer or NAT configured on a firewall in front of the new mailserver you might not need to change DNS. You may need to work on these things instead so that mail is forwarded to the new server.

Do you run your own DNS or is it hosted by someone else? If the latter get some guidence from them before you switch to the new set up.