Building CCNA Lab

sgroff04sgroff04 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Here's what I have so far:
(2) 2950 EI's
(1) 2501 /w transceiver
(1) 2503 /w transceiver
(1) 1721

In order to be able to complete all the CCNA labs what else do I need?
Also please include what cables/cards I still will need.
I already have a bunch of Straight through, cross-over, and rollover cables.

I will be doing the CCNP after the CCNA.
I would like to buy everything off ebay used.
I do have GNS3, but I want to be able to do everything hands on.
Your help and advice is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    For the CCNA you'll probably want to add something you can use as a frame relay switch. If you add at least one serial interface (WIC-1T or WIC-2T with those little smart serial connectors) to that 1721 you'll have your hub and spoke routers (those 2500s make good spokes). If you stick with adding a couple of WIC-1Ts to that 1721, then you just need to get enough DB60-to-DB60 Back-to-Back serial cables to hook all your router WAN interfaces together.

Since you're looking at the CCNP you'd also want to add a router that does MPLS. Some 2600XMs do have MPLS support -- I'm just not sure which ones without checking the IOS Feature Navigator. You'd add a 2nd one of these for a CCNP lab.

If the router you add for your frame relay switch also does MPLS and the IOS that comes with it is also supported in Dynamips/GNS3 -- so much the better.

Your 2 2950 EI switches are good for the CCNA and into the CCNP. If you want to add a cheap 3rd switch (to tide you over until you grab a 3550 for the CCNP) look at a very cheap (spend no more than $20) 2924-XL-EN.

A terminal server like a 2509 or 2511 would be nice to have -- but if you ever have a router with an open NM slot you may want to check out the options that let you use that router as a terminal server. Your terminal server solution will usually come down to the price (and what's available on eBay when you're shopping).
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • sgroff04sgroff04 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you very much for your help.

I'm looking at adding a 2620XM with atleast IOS 12.3 to support MPLS as my Frame Relay.

So correct me if i'm wrong here:
    -I'll need (1) WIC-2T card + (1) Smart Serial cable for the 2620XM to my 1721
    -Then i'll need (2) WIC-2T cards + 2 Smart Serial to DB60 cables to go from my 1721 (hub) to my 2500's (spokes)

So my list of additional hardware to buy should look like this:
    (1) 2620XM w/ IOS 12.3
    (3) WIC-2T cards
    (3) back-to-back cables

I'll hold off on the 2924-XL-EN for now, I was unable to find one for $20
    I'm holding off on a 3550 until the CCNP
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You can check out the NM/WIC/VIC Compatibility PDF on the Cisco Partner Central Portable Product Sheet web page to get an idea of what NM and WIC interface cards the 2600XM supports.

You'd probably want to check out the prices and availability of the NM-4A/S, WIC-1T and WIC-2T interface cards/modules on eBay and then decide what to get.

The NM-4A/S (or NM-8A/S) could be used in your 2600XM for use as your frame relay switch -- and has the DB60 connector like the 2500 routers.

The VIC-2T interface cards are nice, but they usually were selling at a premium over the cost of 2 separate WIC-1T cards when I was building my lab. I have only 1 WIC-2T in my home lab and I got 2 Smart Serial to DB60 back-to-back cables to use with the rest of my DB-60 interface serial cards (WIC-1T, NM-4A/S, NM-8A/S, and NM-4T). If you "mix 'n match" Smart Serial and DB60 interface cards, you may need to keep a few extra Smart Serial to Smart Serial back-to-back or Smart Serial to DB60 back-to-back cables around so that lack of the proper cable doesn't limit your topology.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!