Options

Programming - tough stuff

TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
I just finished the 2nd week for my intro programming class and I have to say, they don't make this stuff easy. It doesn't help that the class meets once a week either. The instructor has us learning by doing basic Java programming in BlueJ, which is a pretty easy to use IDE. Although it feels like he jams too much down our throat all at once. What also sucks is the lack of tutoring available, all the funding for it was cut in local budget cuts icon_sad.gif

The book for the class is: Amazon.com: Starting Out with Java: Early Objects (3rd Edition) (9780321497680): Tony Gaddis: Books if you want to know what we're using.

I think budding up with other class mates would help but from talking / hearing from other students in the class is that they are having a hard time too. So do you guys know of anything that may help? So far I'm just going to chug along with the book and hope things don't be too fuzzy to get lost.

Comments

• Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Talic wrote: »
    I just finished the 2nd week for my intro programming class and I have to say, they don't make this stuff easy. It doesn't help that the class meets once a week either. The instructor has us learning by doing basic Java programming in BlueJ, which is a pretty easy to use IDE. Although it feels like he jams too much down our throat all at once. What also sucks is the lack of tutoring available, all the funding for it was cut in local budget cuts icon_sad.gif

The book for the class is: Amazon.com: Starting Out with Java: Early Objects (3rd Edition) (9780321497680): Tony Gaddis: Books if you want to know what we're using.

I think budding up with other class mates would help but from talking / hearing from other students in the class is that they are having a hard time too. So do you guys know of anything that may help? So far I'm just going to chug along with the book and hope things don't be too fuzzy to get lost.

I had a programming class in college, C++, that was very hard for me. If my instructor had not given me extra out of class tutoring I would have failed it. I remember this site being mentioned before here on the forums. I hope it helps...

JavaRanch - A Friendly Place for Java Greenhorns

Also, you might check the Java certification portion of the forums as well as Sun Microsystem's site.

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/java/index.html
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Our Intro to Programming class was QuickBasic. It was fun because I like to problem solve but difficult because I had to think in different ways from before and figure it out the problem given to me. We had examples from the class where we could apply to the actual homework so I guess it wasn't all that bad.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    XenzXenz Member Posts: 140

What are you having problems with? At least your book is newer than the one my college uses from 2001. Not to mention both books use completely different ways with little explanation KeyboardReader vs BufferedReader.

I'd be more than willing to work with you on studies. I don't have your book, but I can't imagine the class will be too different. Send a PM if you're interested.
    Currently working on:
    CCNP, 70-620 Vista 70-290 Server 2003
    Packet Tracer activities and ramblings on my blog:
    http://www.sbntech.info
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157

One thing that had helped me when I was taking a Java class, was to come up with my own programs on my own time. Trying to write your own program with a specific purpose in mind will really help you get a better grasp on the language. You really have to want to do it though.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    I took Java in 2002, and for our curriculum, it was a weed out course. In hindsight, they made it unnecessarily difficult. In my experience, java programming was useless - i've not once used it since, nor known anyone that needed it. They should have started us out in VB (vb6 then).