Confused regarding ITIL

vaibhavadvaibhavad Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I need some career advice.
I have almost 6 yrs of exp in legacy systems(MFs/VMS). Prod support and maintainence (4yrs) Devleopment 1yr and testing 1 yr. I am not greatly enthralled by promotions but want to get out of regular coding/testing/fixing works.

I advised by couple of very senior people to go for certifications like ITIL and PMP. PMP is not possible since i dont complete the pre-requisites for the same. Also in my company, group leads are asked to take ITIL certs.
But I am not yet a GL,but would like to know whether ITIL will play a role in getting me into that role or more responsible roles other than code/test. Is my prod support experience helpful in ITIL and will ITIL certification help me gain visiblity in my org.

What exactly would be the profile of an ITIL practitioner if working in some company and the market opportunities for certified people.

I am fed up of my regular work and reporting to other people.Since Legacy systems dont have much of freelancing work there's hardly any scope for me to do it.

Can a ITIL certified person work as a free lancer,or consultant independently. As i understand ITIL foundation is just about knowing the basics of ITIL. Will clearing the practioner exam help into this?

Thanks,

Comments

• ccie15672ccie15672 Member Posts: 92 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CAPM can be done in place of PMP..

I know this is not what you are asking about... but yeah, ITIL and CAPM would not be bad things to have...
    Derick Winkworth
    CCIE #15672 (R&S, SP), JNCIE-M #721
    Chasing: CCIE Sec, CCSA (Checkpoint)
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    vaibhavad wrote: »
    But I am not yet a GL,but would like to know whether ITIL will play a role in getting me into that role or more responsible roles other than code/test. Is my prod support experience helpful in ITIL and will ITIL certification help me gain visiblity in my org.

I think the answer to that depends on the relative importance your organization places on ITIL certification. I really don't think anyone here can answer this for you.
    What exactly would be the profile of an ITIL practitioner if working in some company and the market opportunities for certified people.

This is a good question, and one I would like to see thoroughly addressed by the OGC.

In a general sense, the profile of an ITIL practitioner is anyone involved in the delivery or management of services (or "IT Services") throughout their lifecycle. Any further discussion here would require pages and pages of information, but let me simply say that it all depends on your role.
    Can a ITIL certified person work as a free lancer,or consultant independently. As i understand ITIL foundation is just about knowing the basics of ITIL. Will clearing the practioner exam help into this?

Thanks,

Yes, but ITIL certifications are not some magic ticket into the world of freelance consulting. No certification provides that. IMO there is much more to it than that.

With respect to working exclusively in the ITIL realm, one would need to hold the highest-level credentials, along with significant experience to be successful in that area.

MS