Global Knowledge Unlimited Training for $4400

Kris SPKris SP Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Has anyone looked into the Global Knowledge deal for unlimited training for $4400? I notice you need to take the training within a 4-month period.

I'm looking to squeeze in:

CCNA Boot camp ($3395) Early October (I have an expired CCNA already)
BSCI ($2995) (Late October)
BGP ($3195) (Mid November)
MPLS ($3195) (Early December)
QoS ($3295) (Early January)
and maybe BCMSN ($3000 or so) (Late January)

These are all week-long, instructor-led classroom versions.

There's at least a week free between each class within which I will attempt to schedule my test for that particular course. Obviously I'm curious to know how advisable this is. How flexible are the test centers? Can you pretty much schedule the exam within a couple days' notice or is it random?

I dont want to take a test for BGP just after I finished taking the MPLS course, etc.

Thanks!

Comments

• msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's a lot of material to cover or any of those exams in just a 5-day course. The CCNA probably won't be too bad if you've kept up with some Cisco hands-on depending on how long ago yours lapsed. If you don't have experience with the other exam topics they would probably be rough. Do you have equipment to train on outside of the classroom? If you were going to rely strictly on the classroom for 5-days and some book reading outside of class, I wouldn't expect to pass the exams very easily. Unless you have a lot of hands-on experience with the exam objectives for each of those exams already, you're really going to be hoping for miracles to sit the exam (and pass) in the off week between classes.
  • Kris SPKris SP Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I did pass the BSCI back in 2003 but didn't go any further.
    I've been working at an ISP that has OSPF and BGP of course, and we have a healthy amount of QoS within the ATM network and were implementing CoS as well as MPLS/VPN.
    I have a BGP book (Cisco "BGP Design and Implementation) and CCNP videos from CBT Nuggets.

Probably have til this friday to pull the trigger or else will need to look at changing the schedule up a bit. Right now I'm not working so will have the time but not sure what'll happen within the next 4 months.

Thanks for the response!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Pretty sweet deal if you have nothing else going on. That doesn't seem feasible for most people though.
    Looking at their website, I've been trying to push for the VMware course at my work. They offer a VMware course as a VATC, so I wonder if that would be an option for the unlimited training. If that's the case, for an extra $1445 they would be able to send us to a bunch of other courses as well. Hmm, that might make this an easier pitch :D
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Kris SP wrote: »
    Has anyone looked into the Global Knowledge deal for unlimited training for $4400? I notice you need to take the training within a 4-month period.

There's at least a week free between each class within which I will attempt to schedule my test for that particular course. Obviously I'm curious to know how advisable this is. How flexible are the test centers? Can you pretty much schedule the exam within a couple days' notice or is it random?

I dont want to take a test for BGP just after I finished taking the MPLS course, etc.

Thanks!

I can add two things to this....

First, that's probably a good deal if you can keep up that kind of pace.

Second, if memory serves correctly, some exam centers scale back availability from December through early January....

MS
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□

Thanks!

Classroom training for Cisco is always advisable if you can get it. You will certainly cover a lot of things there. As for passing the exams, providing you don't rely too much on the course you have a shot. I would do lots of reading before each class, in the evenings after class and the week after the test. A lot of work though. Hopefully GK don't spread the bdumps around to the candidates. I have heard about training companies doing that.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The GK courses I have attended have been a couple of tiers above the other training centers such as New Horizons. They seem to take pride in quality instruction based on the Microsoft courses I have attended and the Cisco courses my colleagues have attended. Sounds like a great deal.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    Do you have a link to this unlimited offer? I don't see it on their site... thanks
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    Here is the link - found it in my history but I'm not seeing the advertisement on their site right now:

Unlimited Training

May be able to get them to agree to the deal, we'll see.

Also, I think the VMWare stuff is not combine-able with this deal.
    OK I chatted with someone and she told me it should be still valid and to use this link:

Unlimited Training
  • ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
  • jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    great find!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
    I would urge anyone with the time to spare to do this if you can. I'm talking to my boss this afternoon about it.
    IT guy since 12/00

Also, I think the VMWare stuff is not combine-able with this deal.

You are correct, I guess I could have read the terms and conditions:
    Global Knowledge
  • ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    wow thats alot of money, the only thing i pay for was for the test and then my company pay me back so i've spent about 500dlls for all the certs that i have including books and failed test that i didnt get reinverse wow what a wahy to throw money away
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I suggest doing some in-depth checking on this before pulling out the check book or credit card. Especially take a look at the "Partner Delivered Courses" (Terms and Conditions link that was posted) to see which classes are excluded from this deal. But, if you were able to hit two or three courses it would pay for itself.
    You could really load up on MS courses it seems.
    IT guy since 12/00

• eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Another thing to consider before doing this is whether the classes that you want will actually make. Training companies list scads of classes on their schedules, but they don't always run...

GK has high volume relative to other training providers, so this is probably less of a risk with them....

MS
    I have heard they are having an uncharacteristically hard time getting butts in the seats. Probably why they are doing this.
    IT guy since 12/00

• Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would never EVER try to cram for the exams which you have listed in such a short volume of time. I spent about seven months on the CCNP and CCIP and I was working for an ISP at the time.. Seriously, how much do you think your brain will really be able to retain from course to course? I think it's a terrible idea with the goal of a cert being placed before actually learning the material.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • jared1230jared1230 Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I was surfing the internet and I came accross your post Kris. The 4 month unlimited pass from New Horizions is great if you can get the full values and if you have the free time. Just make sure they dont reschedule the class. Also, I run a vILT platform that was co-funded and co-developed by Cisco Systems. Our All Access Pass gives you a year to do your training and it about half the cost.

Jared
    Learning & Certification Advisor
    480-315-4387
  • ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jared1230 wrote: »
    I was surfing the internet and I came accross your post Kris.

I just happened to be in the neighborhood...
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%