Options

Can Server 2003 Standard CALs be used for Server 03 R2?

RevenueRevenue Member Posts: 130
Ahhhg!

CAL's are doing my head in. Googled forever and couldn't find much icon_sad.gif I'm hoping someone here may be able to enlighten me with their wisdom. :p

So I was digging around in the deep bottomless hole beneath my desk and found a a few paper licenses for Server 2003 Std edition...( I was actually looking for my USB rocket\ torpedo office toy so I could shoot the new guy. Suckers in perfect range!.) anyway...the media that comes with these CALs are only server 2003 and not the R2 Version.

Are these CALs still valid for R2? I know you need to buy new a new product key for Server 03 R2 however I am unsure about the CALS as the certificates don't have R2 on them.

Anyone know? :) Thanks for your help.

Rev.

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    New Per-User Licensing Option for Microsoft Windows Server 2003

https://blogs.msdn.com/mssmallbiz/archive/2008/06/23/8641477.aspx

Microsoft SMB Community Blog : Licensing Basics: What are CALs (Client Access Licenses)?
    Version numbers matter: Just like the Server products that CALs are associated with, they have version numbers. For instance, for Windows Server 2003, there is a Windows Server 2003 license and there are Windows Server 2003 CALs. The version number of the CALs being used to access the server software must be the same or higher than the version of the Server software running. As an example, once Windows Server 2008 is released, if you were to purchase a license of Windows Server 2008 to replace your Windows Server 2003 (or if you had Software Assurance on your Windows Server license and received the 2008 version through your upgrade protection) and install that in your company, your Windows Server 2003 CALs would no longer have rights to access the server running Windows Server 2008, since the 2008 version is newer than the 2003 version. As such, you would need Windows Server 2008 CALs to access the Windows Server 2008 server software. Again, if you have Software Assurance for your Windows Server 2003 CALs when Windows Server 2008 is released, then you would receive rights to Windows Server 2008 CALs through the upgrade protection included in the Software Assurance. Note: You can purchase newer CALs to access older server versions. For instance, a Windows Server 2008 CAL can be used to access a Windows 2003 server since the CAL version is newer than the Server version.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The CALS only differ based on version number, not upon releases. So a server 2003 CAL will be valid for a Server 2003 R2 system, but not for Server 2008. Of course the CALs are only valid for the same server product, so a Server 2003 Standard CAL cannot be used with a Small Business Server 2003. If you look at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/howtobuy/licensing/caloverview.mspx you will notice that when it discusses the Server 2003 R2 licensing it refers only to Server 2003 CALs and the article states:
    The same Windows Server 2003 Client Access License is used to access both Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2003 R2 servers.
  • Options
    The CALS only differ based on version number, not upon releases. So a server 2003 CAL will be valid for a Server 2003 R2 system, but not for Server 2008. Of course the CALs are only valid for the same server product, so a Server 2003 Standard CAL cannot be used with a Small Business Server 2003. If you look at [URL][/url]

You can purchase 2008 CALS and use a 2003 server though for future upgrade to the server (why someone would do this is very limited, but it can be done and I've had clients do such things due to budgets and such).

So Server (standard) cannot be crossed with SBS, but 2008 can access 2003.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    RevenueRevenue Member Posts: 130
    Ok great! Thanks for your help :)

A little less confused about them now. I guess the 40 Server 03 CALS I found lying around are still useful as some of our clients are on Server 03 R2. Might be able to dish these out at some point.

Thanks again!
    Rev.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yes, downgrade rights are allowed. I intend on doing that at my work this year. I will probably need to purchase two new server OSes and will end up using downgrade rights so as not to have to purchase 100 new CALs.
  • Options
    With server licensing pricing, this is one of the few times it has paid to spec out the Software Assurance, and have clients REALLY benefit from using it. Otherwise, it is tough for me to buy into SA, it just seems like such a waste.

If MS can continue to pump out server upgrades every 2-2.5 years, then it seems justified to invest in SA.

Otherwise, I've had situation like you are speaking of where we take advantage of the downgrade rights and stretch the old NOS as long as necessary then roll out the upgrade.

Just depends on the client's IT budget and their beliefs in upgrading ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____