Options

New here - Starting to study for Sec+

SnyckSnyck Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,

New to the forums, just wanted to say Hi. I've decided to make the Sec+ my next certification to set my sights on. I recently passed my CCNA (640-802) last thursday and hope to land my Sec+ next.

Question though, I purchased the ExamCram book (by Todd King) in 2003 while in school. Is this book still a valid source for studying? I realize that there were new 2008 Objectives added to the Sec+ exam which is why I'm asking.

The book itself doesn't say anything about what year the exam objectives are based on (though copyright is 2003).

If this book is out of date (which I think it is) which book would you recommend for studying? I've heard good things about both Sybex and the ExamCram books.

Thanks in advance, look forward to helping others out soon! icon_wink.gif
Current Certifications: CCNA (640-802), VTSP4

Certs in Progress: VCP4

Future Certs: CCNA:Wireless and Cisco UCS FE

Comments

• Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    Congrats on the CCNA cert.

Sorry, but that book is out of date. If the copyright is 2003, it's for the SY0-101 exam and the current exam is SY0-201. There may be some material that is similar, but there are a lot of things that are different, and a lot has changed in Security in 6 years.

I'd recommend a book, but I'm a little biased :)

Darril Gibson
    Author: CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead
    www.sy0-201.com

Security+ Tip of day Tweets
    twitter.com/DarrilGibson

Snyck wrote: »

Question though, I purchased the ExamCram book (by Todd King) in 2003 while in school. Is this book still a valid source for studying? I realize that there were new 2008 Objectives added to the Sec+ exam which is why I'm asking.

The book itself doesn't say anything about what year the exam objectives are based on (though copyright is 2003).

If this book is out of date (which I think it is) which book would you recommend for studying? I've heard good things about both Sybex and the ExamCram books.
  • Options
    bgrablinbgrablin Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not to take away from Darril's sales, but I would recommend sticking with the 2003 version of Exam-Cram and download the current SY0-201 Objectives (top one) and compare the 2008 objectives off of the 2003 edition Exam-Cram and fill the gaps with this site and other valuable resources on the internet. I've looked at both Exam-Crams and in my personal opinion, you shouldn't have to buy the newer book.

Or if you're lazy like me click on Darril's link and consider his book or the 2008 exam-cram.

Good luck.icon_cool.gif
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton

My Site | Face
  • Options
    SnyckSnyck Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you both for getting back to me. I've checked out the 2008 objectives and there are definitely a lot of holes in the book that I have. I'll more then likely purchase a new book for the SY0-201 exam instead.

I definitely had a *head in palm* moment when you mentioned that my book is for the 101 exam instead of the 201... I was looking too much into the book and I skipped over the obvious! Doh!

Darril, I checked out the website. I was looking for the following information but didn't see it on there. Are there any example chapters or sections available for me to check out/read through? What about an eBook to read through when I don't have the book with me?

Anyone have feedback on the books/materials they used to study for the test and what they liked/didn't like or what they found most useful?
    Current Certifications: CCNA (640-802), VTSP4

Certs in Progress: VCP4

Future Certs: CCNA:Wireless and Cisco UCS FE