laptop hangs up

wawrzynwawrzyn Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have Toshiba 5205 laptop with XP Home. Sometimes it hangs up - but only in very special conditions - it must be on battery and with internet connection on. Usually it happens when I type.
I tested it with regular built-in dial-up modem, irda connection to my cell phone and bluetooth connection. No blue screens, nothing in the system logs, no clue what's going on. And I have two batteries in at the same time so it should have enough power.
Everything's OK with no internet or with internet and brick connected. I have to try SP2, but it's extremely hard to get thru GPRS icon_sad.gif.
Any suggestions?
Lawrence

Comments

• garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Check your taskmanager and see what processes are running. Anti-virus running in realtime can cause delays with memory hog programs running also.It could be alot of things, even as simple as your laptop sucks :D or memory. Describe your setup. Just troubleshoot it.
  • nate_lewisnate_lewis Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    aye it be sounding like you got ZoneAlarm or some crappy program causing a memory error. Could either mean changing your RAM or changing software. Best bet is to start the PC with no software running, not even firewall/AV/anything and see if you get the same problem when your online. If all else fails, get a memory test prog off the net and test your RAM.

Best of luck.
  • wawrzynwawrzyn Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    nope i don't have ZA, but I do have NAV 2003. I think that my memory is good, cause there're no problems with power supply plugged in or when i don't have internet connection. hmmm i'll try to turn off my antivir - let's see
  • nate_lewisnate_lewis Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thinking about this problem.....
    Remove your modem drivers, reinstall, or even better, find new drivers for it. Sounds to me like the battery(s) and the modem are using the same resource and one is booting the other off while it uses it. Kinda makes no sence as the batteries shouldnt use a resource, but thats all I can think of without spending money.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Might want to check and turn off any APM fuctions in the BIOS.