Options

What's the Worst Thing People in IT Do to Negatively Impact Their Careers?

eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
Some work that I've been doing recently made me think about something. What are some of the worst behaviors that people in IT commonly do that negatively impact their careers?

I've encountered many negative behaviors over the years in people of all ages and from all walks of life. I'll clearly state that I don't see myself as "perfect" in any way, and in fact, I'm my own toughest critic. None of us are perfect, and I know that there is not a total absence of potentially career impacting behaviors in my own life. However, a huge part of being successful is understanding your limitations and knowing how to minimize their impact.

IMO, and based on something that I've seen repeatedly in people over the last 20 years, one of the worst behaviors that people in IT commonly have that negatively affects their careers is what I think is fundamentally an attachment problem.

A number of times I've observed people that develop strong affinities or attachments to specific technology, software or techniques. I've seen many times where these affinities become so strong that people's judgment becomes severely impaired. I've also seen many cases where individuals who exhibit such behavior quickly become obsolete.

It's one of those situations where if your only tool is a hammer then every problem looks like a nail. Also, whenever I've worked with people like this their arguments tend to be very similar to conspiracy theory type arguments...primarily in that their arguments cannot be refuted. If you've ever had the (dis)pleasure of this type of debate, then you will understand what I mean.

I think we all have a slight tendency to develop specific affinities, after all, we do invest significant time and money to develop our skills. However, there are definitely some out there who really go overboard.

I'm curious to hear what you guys and gals think. What is the worst, career-impacting behavior that you see in people in your industry?

MS

Comments

• Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    An aversion to change is one key thing IT folks are prone to that can get your card marked prety quick.

I've learnt to do the other way and, as long as I can understand the rationalle behind the change, will get right behind it and even push it further than origionally proposed. One senior manager once wrote on my yearly apprasail "He is an evangalist for change" which got me a nice pay rise that year. Nobody ever had the word "evangalist" on their appraisal before.

I think that just because a procedure or policy is in place doesn't necessailry imply the initial reasoning for those policys or procedures is still valid.
    Kam.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Maybe not the absolute worst thing, but those who work in IT that are in a decision making position and they push hard to implement what they want and not what the business really needs. I've found examples in the past where individuals, often ones that are quite vocal and/or emotional, push so hard and with a closed mind that they either seem to get upset and want to leave and their productivity goes down, or management starts to raise questions about the individuals ability to perform the job.
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Lack of motivation to stay current on technology. There are plenty of people out there that are still relying on NT4 skills because many environments still run that old and outdated OS. Because these individuals know that NT4 is still deployed they assume that their current skillset is still valid. The same can be said for someone who gets a CCNP in 2001 and assumes it represents the same knowledge as someone that gets the CCNP in 2009. You have to keep up to stay on top.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'd say it is how one carries oneself online. That can have a pretty negative impact. Just plain do not bad mouth your current employer online as you have to assume that everything that goes online will be traceable back to you. Also your general attitude online, if you keep a blog or just frequent forums. Potential employers could do some research and if they find you to be an asshat online then they may be a bit leery of bringing you on the team.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I can really relate to attachment problem, we see it everyday, even here on this forum.

One more major problem I see at work, is those who think they can solve anything by talking and BSing everybody. While they can do good job in fooling one manager or two...but the time will come when they're stuck and their talking doesn't do any good.

Two guys in my department literally ruined our working environment. They talk non-stop, giving us headache, and they think they got us fooled into believing they're expert ! I really can't understand how do they assume that, specially when they get stuck in basic things and call us for help ! Those are a real losers, they think they know it all.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    Lack of motivation to stay current on technology. There are plenty of people out there that are still relying on NT4 skills because many environments still run that old and outdated OS. Because these individuals know that NT4 is still deployed they assume that their current skillset is still valid. The same can be said for someone who gets a CCNP in 2001 and assumes it represents the same knowledge as someone that gets the CCNP in 2009. You have to keep up to stay on top.

hehehe..guilty as charged! CCNP in 2001. Yes you need to keep reading and keep in the game to stay sharp. So keep getting that exposure to the new technologies as time goes by. The older technologies well known can help with the newer things but a lot of people get too complacent.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hang out all day on TechExams?
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Idiotic political moves. Those would include speaking ill of superiors to others publicly, acting cocky and disrepectful, not communicating, not working well with others. Doesn't take long to get a reputation, and once you do, it takes a long time to shed it. You can't get certified or write a good enough resume to correct that.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    1) The guy that knows it all so wont listen to any suggestions about a different/better way to do things

2) The guy who plays WoW at work all day.
  • Options
    pipemajorpipemajor Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□

Or worse, Facebook... icon_thumright.gif

Seriously, the worse career killers I've seen in IT are similar to what has already been mentioned here in that,

1. Unwillingness to keep current
    2. Or keeping technical skills current and having zero people skills
    Number 1 is surmountable but I can't see a true jerk coming around to suddenly become an effective team-player.
  • Options
    HeroPsycho wrote: »
    Idiotic political moves. Those would include speaking ill of superiors to others publicly, acting cocky and disrepectful, not communicating, not working well with others. Doesn't take long to get a reputation, and once you do, it takes a long time to shed it. You can't get certified or write a good enough resume to correct that.

Fair comment. However I think most people are guilty (if that's the right word) of grumbling about management with ones peers at some time or other though and sometimes with good reason.
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Kaminsky wrote: »
    An aversion to change is one key thing IT folks are prone to that can get your card marked prety quick.
    Having this issue now where I work. We are moving out of Novell to Microsoft servers. Word on the street is the CIO is looking to get rid of the Novell admins since they don't seem to be on the same page. One of them took early retirement already.
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    This may not really fit in here...but along the same lines...i really hate 'technical' people that talk to end users like they're pond scum and try to make themselves sound like they invented everything in the computing world by using unnecessarily overly complicated language - which is really just their way of hiding their own insecurities.

/rant
  • Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    brad- wrote: »
    This may not really fit in here...but along the same lines...i really hate 'technical' people that talk to end users like they're pond scum and try to make themselves sound like they invented everything in the computing world by using unnecessarily overly complicated language - which is really just their way of hiding their own insecurities.

/rant

What are end users? :D
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Turgon wrote: »
    Fair comment. However I think most people are guilty (if that's the right word) of grumbling about management with ones peers at some time or other though and sometimes with good reason.

I'm guilty too. I actually once got very upset (6 months ago), and took the ranting a little bit further...and it did nothing to me but bad. A lot of "peers" will take advantage and tell upper management every word you say...but good for me I didn't say anything "wrong", I was just upset with one of my colleagues, and I wasn't the only one upset from his behavior.

I came to the conclusion that the best way is to really keep quiet. If ranting doesn't cause you harm, then it won't be beneficial either, so avoiding it is better, IMO.I know It's difficult, because co-workers will come and chat, so I try to avoid talking about upper management.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Not ask questions.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□

Leave the Artist-Formerly-Known-As-Dynamik alone!
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • Options
    apena7apena7 Member Posts: 351
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    I came to the conclusion that the best way is to really keep quiet. If ranting doesn't cause you harm, then it won't be beneficial either, so avoiding it is better, IMO.I know It's difficult, because co-workers will come and chat, so I try to avoid talking about upper management.

'A prudent man keeps his knowledge to himself, but the heart of fools blurts out folly.'
    Usus magister est optimus
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    eMeS wrote: »
    I'm curious to hear what you guys and gals think. What is the worst, career-impacting behavior that you see in people in your industry?

MS

1. Failing to learn or improve from where one is today.
    2. Resistance to trying something new out of fear of failing
    3. Wasting time.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I think, for the most part, the same rules apply in IT that would apply in any other field. Showing up late, calling in sick too often, not getting along with coworkers/superiors/customers, and generally not taking your job seriously.

Some things I think are specific to IT include some of the things that have already been said, like not keeping up with changes in technology, not keeping your skills up to date and/or not expanding your skills as time goes on. Unfortunately, having a bad attitude doesn't always hurt a persons chances for advancing, (as I'm sure we've all noticed in one a-hole boss or another,) but it certainly does nothing to improve your image. By far, I think pigeon-holing is the worst thing for anyone in this industry, especially when it comes to aging technology that gets phased out. Being an expert on Windows 2008 administration while not being so up to date on Exchange, not so bad. Being an expert on Netware 4 administration and having little to no experience with anything else, THAT's going to kill you if and when you ever have to look for a new job.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    sidsanderssidsanders Member Posts: 217 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ill go with lie on the resume and interview process. get into the place and get critical tasks and fail.
    GO TEAM VENTURE!!!!
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Not taking into account the 'bigger picture' and the overall business requirements. I've met and worked with an awful lot of IT people who don't realise the fact that they are there to effectively satisfy one or more business requirements in one form or another. Sure, at the top end they don't necessarily care (other than cost) about what infrastructure is in place to do this but I've found that if you can take onboard the 'global' view you'll also be more welcoming to change which is also a particular gripe of mine with IT folk in general (do not become one of those who build their own little empires only for it to be tore down when it becomes unsupportable or there is a shift to new technologies).

BTW I'm awesome. I don't have any flaws. Other than the fact that I have two pencils up my nose, wear pants on my head and run about shouting 'wibble' a lot :)
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would like to have a vote cast to put this thread as a sticky under "IT Jobs / Degrees" forum. The info here would be good for anyone.
  • Options
    I think neglecting your family life is probably the worst thing. This happens a lot to IT professionals because of long hours and the pressure, sometimes self imposed, to try and keep up with everything which is impossible, unnecessary and unhealthy. You must try and stay relaxed or you will come over as borderline odd not just at work but at home. Don't chase technology all the time. Delegate or push back if necessary. If the family takes up the strain it will affect both your career and your health in the long run.

Love your wife, not your job and the career will follow. You will be happier too. This usually makes for successful people.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Turgon wrote: »
    Love your wife, not your job and the career will follow. You will be happier too. This usually makes for successful people.
    ...not to mention making your wife happier too! icon_lol.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    skrpune wrote: »
    ...not to mention making your wife happier too! icon_lol.gif

Absolutely.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Turgon

You are absolutely correct!

Though it could be a husband rather then wife for some of the folks here ;)

Nevertheless, ones spouse and family shouldn't take a backseat to a career, though without a career...it could make for a very difficult life too...so BALANCE would be recommended.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    I have to agree that neglecting your family can lead to the demise of ones career. The family, just the wife and I right now, tends to get put on the back burner way to often because they can be. Your family understands and loves you so when you have to put their wants/needs on hold they accept it. This can go on for a while and everything is cool, but if it goes on for too long then it can cause irreparable damage which in turn will affect your happiness and can spell the demise of your career.

I tend to be a study-aholic and have literally spent the last 4-5 years doing almost nothing but studying. At my last job one of my co-workers asked me what I like to do in my free time and I honestly couldn't think of something other then study...

Granted it has paid off well from a financial perspective but it did cause relationship problems with my wife and I. We had a good long talk a few months ago and I'm studying alot less with the goal of balancing out my work/study life with my personal life. I guess I don't need to learn everything at break neck speed :D
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    NorbieNorbie Member Posts: 105
    Ten things I learned not to do from my current co-workers.

1. Do not hang out on Facebook or Myspace all day instead of doing work.

2. Do not sexually harass your female customers & co-workers.

3. If a user calls about a slow computer do not tell them to wait 15 minutes before bothering you again.

4. Do not tell the customer that their problem is "operator error".

5. There are other troubleshooting steps to do besides power cycling the computer.

6. Sometimes you actually have to fix a computer that is infected with a virus rather than automatically re-imaging it.

7. Do not break things and wait for the customer to call one of your co-workers to fix it because you're too lazy to be bothered finishing the issue.

8. Do not spend your shift talking on your cell phone to your buddies or your wife. Especially when your manager is in the room.

9. Do not fake illnesses and injury to avoid work and/or termination.

10. Do not gossip. Once you talk crap about someone to a co-worker and find out the person you talked crap about is their cousin you'll learn your lesson.
    "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
  • Options
    Aldur wrote: »
    I have to agree that neglecting your family can lead to the demise of ones career. The family, just the wife and I right now, tends to get put on the back burner way to often because they can be. Your family understands and loves you so when you have to put their wants/needs on hold they accept it. This can go on for a while and everything is cool, but if it goes on for too long then it can cause irreparable damage which in turn will affect your happiness and can spell the demise of your career.

I tend to be a study-aholic and have literally spent the last 4-5 years doing almost nothing but studying. At my last job one of my co-workers asked me what I like to do in my free time and I honestly couldn't think of something other then study...

Granted it has paid off well from a financial perspective but it did cause relationship problems with my wife and I. We had a good long talk a few months ago and I'm studying alot less with the goal of balancing out my work/study life with my personal life. I guess I don't need to learn everything at break neck speed :D

We can relate. I don't know if you have kids but our first has just turned two years old and I certainly make sure we are not spread too thin on family time with the CCIE efforts. Disappearing into labs all night almost every night after work just hasn't been an option since he arrived.

Enough theory study for me for one night. It's Saturday night here. Time to down tools and enjoy a film with my wife. We had a great family afternoon out in the countryside. No practice labs for me today.