VDI Question

ZaitsZaits Member Posts: 142
Hello Everyone,

Our company is toying with the idea of moving towards a VDI environment and I have been given the task of researching this. I have alot to learn and I barely have my feet wet with this technology, so bare with me if I don't ask this question properly.

I am trying to understand why VDI requires a connection broker or is that only if I am using thin clients ? If we use our existing desktops would I still need a connection broker ? Wouldn't a simple VPN connection back to the office suffice ?

If someone could help clear the air on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Comments

• ZaitsZaits Member Posts: 142
    Doing some more research I assumed from the begining VDI was proprietary to only VMware, but its starting to look like other vendors are using that term with their products. I know VMware's virtual Desktop product is called View, but I think I am confused with the use of the connection Broker.
  • KarenGondolyKarenGondoly Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello!

Deploying a successful VDI environment is, indeed, a large and complex task. With so many different pieces involved, the choice of a connection broker is often put off until the end. This kind of oversight can lead to delays and complications in the long run. It's good you are thinking about the role of the connection broker as a part of your research and planning.

In short, the connection broker is connection management software that allows you to centralize end-user computing resources in the data center and manage their delivery to your end users. Above and beyond this, a good connection broker will also let you optimize your VDI environment to meet your business goals for resource usage, security, and end-user experience.

Right. So what does that actually mean? As I like to think about it, the connection broker is the brains behind the VDI operation. The broker determines which desktops and applications the user has access to, which remote viewer protocol to use when connecting to those resources, and key aspects about the end user environment, such as which USB devices can be passed through from the client to that desktop and a lot more.

In order to do these things, the broker sets the stage by integrating all of the data center subsystems you need to build the VDI - directory services, virtual machines, physical machines, blades, Terminal Services, client devices, gateways, load balancers and others. By using an independent, third-party connection broker, you can build your VDI from the IT resources your company has already invested in. Avoiding vendor lock-in and forklift upgrades.

And once you've built out the system, a good connection broker will also give you full control over your VDI deployment, while offering your end-users access to the right desktop no matter what client device they sit down at.

There are a number of Connection Brokers out there. As Product Manager at Leostream, I would, of course, suggest that you check out the vendor-independent, highly scalable approach taken by the Leostream Connection Broker.

Good luck!
    Karen