Options

298-299 really?

murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
I know I heard it and seen that you could study 299 material and take both 298 and 299 in the same day. Is this realistic? Not doubting anyone, just myself a little. I just want to make sure cause I'm studying 299 material now, and if I decided to take the 298 as well, I don't want to look at at question on 298 and be like "what the hell is this." You know what I'm saying? So just to see if I can really study the 299 and be ok for both?
Next up
CIW Web Foundations Associatef(Knock out some certs before WGU)
ITIL Intermediate Service Operations

Comments

• Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I think you'd be ok. The 299 builds on the security principles of 291 and 293, going into SSL, PKI, IPSec, GPOs etc. The 298 is how to design it, based on MS best practices. I read the 299 book before taking the 298 and it helped a lot.
    I did buy the 298 book, which I felt was rather boring, mostly guidelines, though there was some good info on Cert services and VPNs.
    After taking each separately, I think I would have sat them both the same day. The 299 exam is mostly multiple choice, though its been over a year since I've taken it. The 298 is your 5 mini tests, timed mode, that you must read the info and make decisions based on that.
    Good Luck!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I've been the one saying that, and yes. Go to a book store or Safari and page through the MS Press 298 book. There is absolutely nothing new. It's just a giant list of best practices. It would make a better reference than a study guide.

As mentioned, the only thing that's different is the format. You won't come across anything that hasn't been covered in 291, 293, and 299.
  • Options
    murdatapesmurdatapes Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    OK. Thanks for the reply's. I am going to try and tackle both. Going to schedule it.

thanks yall
    Next up
    CIW Web Foundations Associatef(Knock out some certs before WGU)
    ITIL Intermediate Service Operations