CompTIA: Convergence+...any details?

Hi. Does anyone here know much about the Convergence+ certification offered by CompTIA?

I saw a book for it a while back and picked it up (I've been on a certification manual buying binge lately). It looks very interesting but I can find very little information about it.

I can't seem to find good study materials for it (the one book I got is the ONLY Convergence+ book I can find). My beloved Transcender doesn't offer material for it.

I would like to get this certification just because it seems interesting rather than because I need it. Has anyone here passed it? Is it a challenging exam? Is it worth getting? Will studying for it improve your knowledge of telephony?
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Comments

• Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't know a lot about the cert but here is a new book on it:

Amazon.com: CompTIA Convergence+ Certification Study Guide (Certification Study Guides) (9780071596800): Tom Carpenter: Books

I wasn't able to find any transcender-like product for it either. I myself have not taken the exam, i may take it in the distant future but I am not sure of its worth.
  • wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Here was a review on the Tom Carpenter book I did plus a bit about the certification.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/42784-havent-been-here-while-convergence.html
    For the most part the certification was straight forward. As I said in the review the book covered wireless extremely heavy compared to the test.
    wastedtime wrote: »
    Here was a review on the Tom Carpenter book I did plus a bit about the certification.
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/general-certification/42784-havent-been-here-while-convergence.html
    For the most part the certification was straight forward. As I said in the review the book covered wireless extremely heavy compared to the test.

Would you say this was a worthwhile cert for you to obtain?

I am on the fence about studying for it...
    It depends I would say. I don't see it on many job searches, so I would say it wouldn't really help you into a VoIP type job. It does as all the other CompTIA exams do, teach you the basics of the field. So even if you don't go for the certification I would say the material it covers is useful.
    It depends I would say. I don't see it on many job searches, so I would say it wouldn't really help you into a VoIP type job. It does as all the other CompTIA exams do, teach you the basics of the field. So even if you don't go for the certification I would say the material it covers is useful.

Was it a good primer for the CCNA:V?
    It was decent warm-up but convergence+ covers a few areas that CCNA:V didn't. Like video, and wireless. It would probably make a better primer for the Convergence Technologies Professional. (CTP)
    It was decent warm-up but convergence+ covers a few areas that CCNA:V didn't. Like video, and wireless. It would probably make a better primer for the Convergence Technologies Professional. (CTP)

Fair enough. I dont think I will be doing this one. I have never seen it required for any job and you are the only person I have heard that has it. I will complete CCNA:V (which I noticed you have) and I was curious if it would be pretty decent warmup. I think I will save my money and just for the CCNA:V.
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    So, the book mentioned above has good reviews, especially in relationship to taking the exam. I picked it up today and thumbed through it -- seems REALLY basic. By chapter 3 they were still talking about the OSI model.
    If you already have CCNA Voice then really I would say you just need to learn the video area and you should be able to pass the exam.
  • NorbieNorbie Member Posts: 105
    knwminus wrote: »
    I don't know a lot about the cert but here is a new book on it:

Amazon.com: CompTIA Convergence+ Certification Study Guide (Certification Study Guides) (9780071596800): Tom Carpenter: Books

I wasn't able to find any transcender-like product for it either. I myself have not taken the exam, i may take it in the distant future but I am not sure of its worth.

That's the book I have. The only thing I have for it at the moment.
    "Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
    I know when I was studying for it that was about the only resource for it. Convergence+ isn't a highly sought after certification and it is also a newer certification so the demand for material on it is pretty low.
  • NorbieNorbie Member Posts: 105
    I know when I was studying for it that was about the only resource for it. Convergence+ isn't a highly sought after certification and it is also a newer certification so the demand for material on it is pretty low.

How hard is the exam? The book material seems pretty easy to learn but I've heard the exam is hard from other people online.
    It is kind of hard to gauge how hard it is. I felt it was harder then Network+, Server+ and i-Net+. It really depends on how well you know the areas.