Options

WAIK and System Architecture

RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
So I have been thinking about how the WAIK works and what I would do in my environment if I were to deploy Win 7 on the systems here. Now back in the day I did some imaging using BDD, imagex, etc for Vista. This was just after Vista came out. All my knowledge of that is gone. But I was wondering; how does the WAIK work with different architectures?
Let’s say I have…
a few older systems that would require a 32 bit OS (single proc/single core),
a few systems that require 32 bit OS but are dual core/ single proc,
a few systems that require 64 bit OS that are single core/single proc,
a few systems that require 64 bit OS that are multi-core/single proc,
a few systems that are 64 multi-core/multi proc.
How would I deal with this? I ask because this is really what my current environment is like. Except for the multi-core/multi-proc. I have a lot of old, single proc/core systems that would require 32 bit OS, a few AMD64 systems, a few Pentium Dual cores, a few Core2 Duos, a few high end CAD stations that are quad core and run 64 bit OS. How many images would I need to have for this type of environment?

Comments

• Options
    mrmcmintmrmcmint Member Posts: 492 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dont know - I have been wondering the same thing, especially as part of studying for these beta exams.

I actually found a decent server that wasnt being used, installed the server 2008 R2 RC on it, configured it as a DC, DHCP DNS, WDS etc and installed the latest WAIK. I started following the MS instructions to use the image manager, imported the install.wim from a Windows 7 DVD but this is as far as I got. It crashed and told me to look at the error log, which I did but it really didn't tell me much. I tried importing it from several sources including the MSDN upgrade DVD and the RC edition.

I want to answer this myself, as I also have multiple different systems exactly as you suggested right down to the CAD machines. I know with server 2003 OS with WDS it was hard work to get imaging/deployment of 64bit OSs sorted - but this was deploying xp.

I believe Windows 7 is not HAL dependant as isn't vista which is nice, so we should end up with 3/4 different images for Windows 7? - looking into the sysprep /generalize option for drivers? Need to do much more reading up! icon_study.gif

Let me know if you get anywhere! :)
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    You would need 2 images. 64 bit and 32 bit.

Vista and 7 can hop HAL's, this is built in. (as long as its been sysprepped, which enables the detecthal switch)

You need to use WAIK 32 bit because the 32 bit version can deploy 32 and 64 bit images, while the 64 bit version can only deploy 64 bit images.
  • Options
    I must spread reputation around before giving it to you again..... Thanks Hyper. I will owe this pass to you and smoot.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Just make sure you inject the drivers for whichever hardware you intend to image too. Usually it will still image and boot fine, but its faster if youve already got it injected. (or with 7 you can utilize the new Dynamic Driver Provisioning in WDS)
  • Options
    mr_zzzmr_zzz Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    it's indeed one of the hardest parts of the exam, or in a real situation.
    I've tried making a resume of all the WAIK stuff, think it will take me all weekend .... .
    It might be interesting to make the 'deployment' resume together.
    I will try to cover all about WAIK, but it won't be easy. If you look at the technet information on deployment it's alOt icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    mr_zzzmr_zzz Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Cool stuff Z. Although George seems to really like himself, based on the way the articles are written... Lol! But I'm not complaining. They all contain very good info.