Options

Working on a CCNA Lab

harveymeisterharveymeister Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello out there,

I am putting together a CCNA Lab for hands-on work. Below is what I have already. Does anyone know of anything else that I will need as far as hardware goes for me to have a functional CCNA Lab?

Routers: 2 ea. 2611XM's
Switches: 2 ea. 2950-24's

I am open to suggestions. Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

Comments

• Options
    bigheadxbigheadx Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well lets see, patch panels are nice once you get alot of comps, and switches and what not.

But for CCNA, a couple routers, switches shall do. Also, some power strips :)
    WIP: CCNA, BS Sys/Net Admin

Taking one byte out of computers, one bit at a time!

College Fund:
    [-/
    ] (15000)
  • Options
    human151human151 Member Posts: 208
    Ideally all I would add is one router. with three routers and two switches you should be go to go.
    Welcome to the desert of the real.

BSCI in Progress...

Cisco LAB: 1x 2509
    1X2621
    1x1721
    2x2950
    1x3550 EMI
  • Options
    rowelldrowelld Member Posts: 176
    What you have is a great start!
    Visit my blog: http://www.packet6.com - I'm on the CWNE journey!
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Welcome to the forums!

+1 to the other posters. What you have is well ahead of most CCNA home labs.

I might add a third switch, you could even get by with a 2924-XL-EN for this, so you really get to see STP in action. Not really necessary but it would be nice.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Something like a 2509 Terminal Server that could also be a 2nd spoke in a Frame-Realy hub and spoke topology would be nice -- assuming you also add another router to act as a frame relay switch.

I also like adding a 3rd cheap switch like the 2924-XL-EN since it does help with learning STP and ISL Trunking. Just don't overpay on eBay to get one.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    First off, I want to thank all of you that replied. So as a recap, you all say I should get a 3rd router and a 3rd switch? I just want to try to get this done right the first time. Plus, I would like to have a setup, that once I complete the CCNA, I can add add a few parts and have a lab for the CCNP. I am taking this slowly, but I am open to suggestions.

Chris
  • Options
    tim100tim100 Member Posts: 162
    First off, I want to thank all of you that replied. So as a recap, you all say I should get a 3rd router and a 3rd switch? I just want to try to get this done right the first time. Plus, I would like to have a setup, that once I complete the CCNA, I can add add a few parts and have a lab for the CCNP. I am taking this slowly, but I am open to suggestions.

Chris

A third router and a third switch should suffice for now. If you are going to be working towards the CCNP you should follow mikej412's advice regarding frame relay. Build your lab little by little as you will be able to purchase Cisco equipment at a cheaper price as time goes by.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I would like to have a setup, that once I complete the CCNA, I can add add a few parts and have a lab for the CCNP.
    I like 4 routers (including the one acting as a frame relay switch) & 3 switches for the CCNA.

For the CCNP I'd add a 5th router that can run MPLS and upgrade one of the CCNA routers to a model that can run MPLS (so you have at least 2) -- or use Dynagen/GNS3 for MPLS.

And also add a layer 3 switch to your CCNA lab to turn it into a CCNP Lab. A 3550 is good enough and CHEAP, and 3560 and 3750 switches are nice but expensive. If you were able to find some 2950 models for your CCNA Lab that ran the EI image, this is where they come in handy.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    tim100tim100 Member Posts: 162
    mikej412 wrote: »
    For the CCNP I'd add a 5th router that can run MPLS and upgrade one of the CCNA routers to a model that can run MPLS (so you have at least 2) -- or use Dynagen/GNS3 for MPLS.

Cisco's feature navigator will state that only the 2650XM and the 2651XM support MPLS running 12.4 IOS but this isn't true. He can load a 12.3 Advanced Enterprise image on the 2611XM and get MPLS support.
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    Hello out there,

I am putting together a CCNA Lab for hands-on work. Below is what I have already. Does anyone know of anything else that I will need as far as hardware goes for me to have a functional CCNA Lab?

Routers: 2 ea. 2611XM's
    Switches: 2 ea. 2950-24's

I am open to suggestions. Any help would be appreciated.

Chris

harveymeister,

What study materials do you have?
  • Options
    harveymeister,

What study materials do you have?

Hey tech-airman,

I am using the CCNA Official Exam Certification Library, and the CCNA 640-802 Network Simulator. These in conjunction with the lab that I am putting together, should be what I need to accomplish my CCNA.

I want to make sure my lab will be correct from the start so I do not spend money that I don't need to spend. It is not good to spend the money on something if it will not help me get further up the chain of certifications.

Besides what I have listed for study material, is there anything else that I should be looking into?

Thanks,

Chris
  • Options
    ziggi138ziggi138 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey tech-airman,

Besides what I have listed for study material, is there anything else that I should be looking into?

I Highly recommend CBT Nuggets, as long as you can follow the instructor when he jumps from topic to topic. I hear Train Signal is excellent also.