SNMP Monitor, for home use?

bigheadxbigheadx Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
Looking to get a snmp monitor for my home. Are their any that do not require iis or any such services?

Thanks!
WIP: CCNA, BS Sys/Net Admin

Taking one byte out of computers, one bit at a time!

College Fund:
[-/
] (15000)

Comments

• ColbyGColbyG Member Posts: 1,264
    What do you want to monitor? I use PRTG for bandwidth monitoring and trending.
  • bigheadxbigheadx Member Posts: 36 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Bandwidth, mostly. Just something to screw around with. What do you need in order for PRTG to run?
    WIP: CCNA, BS Sys/Net Admin

Taking one byte out of computers, one bit at a time!

College Fund:
    [-/
    ] (15000)
  • SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    bigheadx wrote: »
    Bandwidth, mostly. Just something to screw around with. What do you need in order for PRTG to run?

I use a Linksys wrt54gl flashed with dd-wrt. It does bandwidth monitoring. If you are interested I can post some pictures.
    At work I use Nagios for host and service status, and Cacti for bandwidth and latency monitoring.
    Cacti is the best i've found. It uses RRDtools for graphing.
  • Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    It's a good idea to get familiar with solutions besides the linksys, as it will better prepare you for having to do so in the workplace.

As mentioned before, PRTG is pretty sweet for monitoring on a windows platform. It's one of the few Windows apps I willingly recommend.

Most everything I do is on a unix platform, and for that, I use a number of things.

Nagios - General monitoring, if you can imagine it, and have a little bit of scripting skill, Nagios can monitor it. I use this to monitor things like RAID array integrity, interfaces going down, disk drives going over a certain threshold, services like pop/imap/smtp, ssh being available, mysql replication running, etc etc etc. Nagios is badass, and best of all, free.

Cacti - This is what I use for bandwidth monitoring and trending. It's got default templates for the most common OID's, so it's pretty much plug and play when it comes to bandwidth monitoring. Can graph aggregate usage, 95th percentile, and so on. I also use it to monitor trends for things like server load, disk space usage, memory usage. In the cases of my network accessible printers, I also use it to monitor ink cartridge levels. If you can poll for it through SNMP, Cacti can graph it.

Smokeping - I use this to monitor and graph network latency

NFSen - This is what I use for graphing Netflow
  • SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    I agree that its great to get familiar with Cacti, Nagios, whats up gold, and all those other enterprise grade tools. But if you are looking for something quick and easy, need a new router anyway, and want it to monitor bandwidth you can't beat a router flashed with dd-wrt for sheer simplicity and you get a ton of funtionality with it too.